3. Marella Discovery
As a seasoned cruiser we have travelled with Thomson, p and o, Disney, Celebrity, Cruise and Maritime, island Cruises, Saga, Windstar and Silver seas. We have always enjoyed the Thomson ships for the service, because they are not too large and because we truly believe they have the best entertainment, although we know they are not normally the prettiest and nicest of the ships. When we booked the Tui discovery two weeks in the Caribbean we had mixed feelings about it, a little worried about some of the reviews regarding the fact that it was informal (we like to dress up) and a little bothered about there may be too many kids for our liking, but the itineraries were different and so we decided to give it a go. I am so pleased we did. This was an amazing cruise, definately the best we have done! First of all the ship is beautiful. It has gone under a refurb earlier in the year when thomson bought it from royal Caribbean. The atrium is very impressive and we loved the way the housekeeping staff had decorated it so tastefully with Christmas decorations. The main buffet restaurant was lovely, nothing like the canteen feel of most of the ships. It was all glass fronted with the majority of tables set in an angle to give you a lovely view of the bow of the ship and surrounding views which was lively when eating. The glass house adult only area was a conservatory with an indoor pool with no extra charges unlike most lines and extremely comfortable sun loungers. Lite bites and salads were available during the day and snacks in the evening at no extra charge. The theatre is also designed very well, no pillars or posts obscuring views so wherever you sit you can see very well. And the whole ship was spotless, the cleanest ship we have been on, housekeeping staff were amazing. Three weeks before we were due to travel I actually broke my shoulder. I was very nervous about travelling but the care and attention I received from all of the staff was phenomenal. When the chief housekeeper Larry heard this he actually managed to arrange for us to move to a cabin with a specially adapted shower which was amazing as I am still at the stage where my mother is assisting me to dress and wash. They also arranged for extra pillows and our cabin steward Fernando was constantly checking to see if I needed anything else to make myself comfortable. The cabins are a lot bigger than most and very tastefully decorated. I also have a lot of allergies and the food was the best I have experienced on board a ship. The head chefs Gustavo and Thomas and also ionut spoke to me to check what I could eat and ionut checked with me after every meal to sed I had enjoyed my food. The variety and types of foods served on board were very high quality. Guests can find at any time, we preferred to done in the Italian restaurant 47 degrees as it had a balcony overlooking the main restaurant and was a lovely ambience with a pianist to entertain. There was no extra charge for this restaurant, there are two a la carte restaurants which do incur a supplement which we did not try simply because the food was so good elsewhere but I heard good reports from fellow guests. We were pleased that most people did in fact dress up nicely. The restaurant staff were also amazing, particularly the restaurant manager Felipe, the buffet managers Robert and Nara, and Maxton and Jordan who arranged my special orders each meal. I see reports that the bars were short staffed, we certainly did not experience this, there were always plenty of staff and the service was excellent. We did not take the all inclusive option as I do not drink but thought the drinks were reasonable. The five bottles of wine for £72 was a good deal and also the spirits in the onboard shop which thomson allow you to enjoy in your cabin unlike most lines are very reasonable. I see people complaining that you pay for bottled water but there are water stations that are free by the glass everywhere so personally I think this is just nit-picking. In fact I have to say this is the least money grabbing cruise we have been on! We were especially surprised that there was no extra charge for the grab and go where you could get sandwiches wraps and salads to take ashore was free. The Free Icecream was served in quality waffle cones, not cheap wafers. The staff on board from the shops, to the destination services, the spa and the photographers all assisted us without making us purchase. We did one tour with thomson and three independently and they were just as happy to assist with independent information. The evening shows were fabulous and the cruise director Paul Evans was hilarious yet very down to earth. There did not seem to be as many say time activities as in previous cruises, this did not bother us as in the fortnight we only had one sea day but had we been on a crossing we would probably have wanted more. We very much enjoyed the backstage tour by the entertainers and the q and a with the captain. We were also very impressed by the steel band and the amazing saxophonist who entertained in the atrium evening times. I don't know whether it was the time of year (2 and 3 week dec) but there were not many kids on board and the kids club entertainers seemed to keep them occupied which was good for us. We also did not experience any problem with getting sun beds, there seemed to be plenty and most guests obeyed the requests not to reserve them apart from a few ignorant couples who hogged the few in the adult area at the back the Veranda throughout the cruise. I have to say though what really made the trip so great was the crew and officers, senior officers taking time to speak to passengers a lot as well, namely chief officer hotel director, general manager, head bar manager, executive chefs, head housekeeper and captain - everyone was so down to earth and chatty. We will definitely be booking the Discovery or the new soon to be launched discovery two again, despite the fact that as from summer everyone has to go all inclusive which does not really suit us but is worth the sacrifice. Once again, amazing cruise, can't recommend enough and many thanks to all on board!

Fabulous Cruise on TUI Discovery - highly recommended!

Marella Discovery Cruise Review by Vfarq

• Sail Date: December 2016
  • Destination: Caribbean

Vfarq’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Discovery price drops

Very spacious, huge picture window, very quiet, extremely clean, fantastic cabin steward