3. Celebrity Constellation
The Celebrity Constellation is a favourite of many and we were comfortable on the ship having sailed the Celebrity Millenium five years ago. Generally speaking the ship was in good repair although there were places that a coat of varnish and some paint are needed (especially in the Thalassotherapy pool area). Service on board was excellent. The entertainment far exceeded our expectations. The cruise director obviously has a passion for his job and it shows. We were in cabin 3031 (Ocean View) and were very comfortable. Plenty of closet space. Bathroom was roomy. Bed was very comfortable. We purchased 3 excursions from Celebrity: Dune Safari and Dinner in Dubai, Dhow cruise in Khasab and Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque and City Tour. We felt we got good value for the convenience of booking these excursions through the cruise line although all could be done independently as well. One word of caution for ladies who plan to visit the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi; the dress restrictions are quite strictly enforced. Three women on our bus were pulled aside for wearing something 'transparent'. One woman had a white sweatshirt like sweater; another had a blouse with somewhat transparent sleeves and I had a white sweater over a loose fitting t-shirt. My sweater was lightweight and deemed transparent. Luckily there were 2 jackets on the bus and the security guard decided that the first woman should remove her white sweater in favour of a fleece jacket and that I should wear her sweater. Although I was very hot, I was grateful that this all worked out as the mosque is not to be missed. Beauty beyond words. I am a Canadian Citizen and had questions before leaving about visas...so, in case it helps answer anyone else's question...as Canadians we were eligible for a free 30 day multiple entry visa upon arrival in UAE (we flew into Abu Dhabi). I had been told by Celebrity that they would organize the Visa for Oman but they could not tell me the charge. In the end, there was no charge. I suspect that this is because there is a relatively new agreement with Oman that if a UAE visa is issued (the web indicates Dubai, but again we entered in Abu Dhabi) and there are one or more cruise ports of call in Oman that no separate Visa is required for Canadians. Of course, I can't speak to any other nationality. We had purchased our cruise in the Fall on a 12 Go! Offer and had included gratuities, unlimited internet access, $300 ship board credit as well as the Classic Beverage Package (which was upgraded to Premium by our travel agent...a pleasant surprise). Our expenses were low: a few taxi fares, a rental car in Muscat for one day (my husband lived there from 1992-94) and a few miscellaneous items. We already have some Arabian 'souvenirs' from our time in Oman and so didn't feel the need to purchase more....although that did not deter us from visiting the souqs. All in all a very relaxing holiday and pleasant itinerary. We would definitely recommend it!

9 night Arab Immersion cruise

Red II’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Ocean View 6
Cabin 06 3031
There are 2 north american style and two European style electrical plugs so you may wish to consider bringing one or two adaptors with you.
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Abu Dhabi
    See general review for comment on dress code for ladies. What is acceptable in one mosque may not be acceptable in Abu Dhabi.
    View All 130 Abu Dhabi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Abu Dhabi Cruise Port Review
  • Desert Safari
    Great experience...Dune bashing in SUV is different than being in an actual purpose made dune buggy but still lots of fun with the benefit of not getting sand in your face/mouth! The dinner portion was fun with lots of food options. Could have done without the belly dancer as this seemed out of place to the experience.
    View All 19 Desert Safari Reviews
  • Muscat
    We walked to the Mutrah souq on our own (easy walk...once you exit the port go left and continue walking until you seen the entrance to the souq) on the first day. On the second day we booked a rental car and took a taxi to pick it up at the Al Bustan Palace Hotel (about a 15 minute drive away -- we paid 5 OR for this taxi ride although the first drivers wanted 7 OR...given that if you are hiring the car by the hour it is 10 OR per hour for the first 3 hours we felt that 5 OR for 15 minutes was fair. If you plan to rent a car you may want to ensure that you pre-arrange a GPS (sat nav). We were lucky to get one.
    View All 159 Muscat Cruise Port Reviews