3. Avalon Vista
We chose this cruise since it visited an area of Europe that is rarely visited, the Balkans. I had done all this area several times, but a long time ago. Most of it was new for my wife. Two dear friends accompanied us, all of it new to them. They had the same fabulous experience we did! We were accommodated for 2 nights in the excellent and very well-located Intercontinental in Vienna, before a coach transfer to Bratislava. here we were given a guided walk through the city ending at the Vista, where our bags were already in our cabins. Throughout, everything ran like clockwork, with our splendidly efficient German Cruise Director Isobel always fully on top of things. She was wonderful! Our cabin was quite large( supposedly 200 sq.ft), with a small sitting area, a very comfortable bed and pillows, lots of drawer and cupboard space and room for the empty suitcases under the bed. The window wall opposite the bed was amazing, with much of it retracting , leaving a swath of open air and unimpeded views. Food in the restaurant was excellent and varied. The chef even remembered one day I liked Wiener Schnitzel and delighted me with a surprise one at lunchtime one day, personally delivered! Lots of variety at all three meals, and all top quality fresh food. The waiters were so friendly and jovial, we looked forward to each meal just on their account! The stops on the cruise were well judged ( realistically the only places of note along the way anyway!). It was great to sail up to and through the famous Iron Gates, otherwise almost inaccessible! We especially enjoyed the small boat trip into the Danube Delta, as well as our own independent exploration Of "wild east" St Georges at the mouth of the Danube. At the end, we were transferred to Bucharest for a night in the excellent Plaza Athenee Hilton, that has for half a century been the top hotel in town. We took the excursion to Ceausescu's palace extravaganza, that gives Versiailes a run for its money as a building. Amazing! All in all, as I told Isobel and the Captain, if they were to ask me how to improve on this cruise, I could not tell them how! That's how good it was and why we and our friends were so delighted with every aspect of our trip. We wholeheartedly recommend Avalon based on our experience!

Magnificent and outstanding experience for our first river cruise!

Avalon Vista Cruise Review by uncle paul