3. Adventure of the Seas
This was our 10th cruise, 9th with RCI. I was happy that the ship was coming out of dry dock a week before our cruise. Unfortunately, we were notified just before our cruise that the ship was not complete due to issues with the dry dock facility. Other than some remodeling jobs that were half complete, I could not se what was done to the ship. They added a new splash zone for the kids. This was working, but is not open very often. They have to have two attendants there when operating to keep kids from sliding into each other on the new slide. I was disappointed that they took away part of the swimming pool to add this play area. Chops Grill was being built. All we say was a boarded up entrance with a sign that said coming soon. The larger water slides were being built as we cruised. They were scheduled to be completed after our cruise. We had three cabins, two suites and one balcony. Nothing was completed in any of the rooms. The mirrors were tarnished and some of the walls had damage from the previous years of service. The crew did not appear to be ready either. Our state room attendant told someoen in my group that he would be away for training most of our trip. I never got to meet him. I had to leave notes when I needed service. We ate at Giovannis three times. The service was so bad that I asked teh manager if I could cancel my third night. I had pre-paid for the 3-night package and could not receive credit. Service was better after complaining, but it was not like what we had in the past. She actually forgot two of our appetizers and one entre. When we informed her, she just laughed and said she would bring double the next night. I went to buy a logo shirt in the gift shop. They didn't have any medium in stock on the ship. They said they would check the warehouse and asked me to stop back. They didn't have any on board, but said they would have them on Saturday (after I was off of the ship). They only had 8-10 logo shirts in stock, and this was the thid day of the cruise. We took the All Access Tour. We paid $150 each. I knew this was ridiculous, but others in our group wanted to try it once. I DO NOT recommend this tour. We didn't even see the laundry area as promised. It would be a nice tour for about $20 - $40. The bridge was obviously the best part of the tour. The theater and ice rink are so small, there isn't much back stage to see. I have been in the galley before. It just looks like a large commercial kitchen. Then we just saw the coolers where the food is stored all week. Didn't see the engine room (whicjh I knew wasn't included) the crew areas, laundry, or any true "behind the scenes" operation of the ship. You are rushed by most of the included areas since they are constantly working. They don't really have time to talk to a group on tour. We have sailed on this ship in the past, and Royal Caribbean nine times. It appears that they keep taking away some of what made Royal special. They food quality had declined. I used to think people were crazy for paying for a speciality restaurant and skip the dining room. I now pay just so I get a quality meal. The dining room is not bad, but it is not the great food the cruiseline was known for. Our cocktail sauce for the shrimp was just like red water. We thought there wa an issue wit it the first time, but it was the same later in the cruise. They no longer have the day of the week in the elevator. It is not a big deal, but I liked seeing that each day. They keep taking away public space to add more cabins. They have taken away some of the old lounges and nightclubs to add cabinsd and speciality restaurants. They even blocked some walking areas to add cabins on other ships. I believe this was planned for Adventure also, but was cancelled when drydock was shortened. I hope Royal turns things around. It feels like they are choosing revenu over passengers. I understand the need to generate revenue, but if service doesn't improve, they will continue to lose passengers.

The ship should have remained in dry dock.

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by ord66