3. Royal Princess
Seeing 10 ports of call in 14 days really gave me a small overview of which countries I would like to return to and which I wouldn't bother with We arrived in Athens a day and a half early to sight see. There were 4 women on this cruise with me being the youngest at 65. The other three were age 75 and over. Embarking was a breeze. The ship was similar to other Princess ships I have been on. We had a balcony cabin which was great because we could relax and sunbathe without having to lug our towels and things to a lounge chair on one of the outside decks. And since we had two cabins next to each other we could open the partition on the balcony to have access to both cabins. The food at the regular dining rooms was great. Always a great selection. The buffet was good and there was a separate smaller area for a smaller choice of buffet and the full buffet. It was a little confusing to start with because you thought you were in the large buffet area and found out after you selected your meal there was another larger buffet. We dined at one of the specialty restaurants one night and were definitely not impressed. There was always plenty to do on the ship, zumba, dance lessons, crafts, trivia and quiz games, and the cruise assistants were very good. The nightly entertainment was great. Comedian, singers dancers. Our room service was good, nothing critical to say. The ports were good and it gave me an overview of which cities or countries I would like to return to. Santorini Greece was kind of a major disappointment. I took the ancient ruins tour which was good but the town we visited after was disappointing. The walkways were dirty, (smelled like urine) and also smelled like donkey poop (donkeys go through there evidently. In Italy, the Mt. Aetna tour was disappointing. Our tour guide's usage of the English language left a lot to be desired. However the Almafi coast was fantastic. Italy was my favorite destination. The coastline and a bit inland beautiful. Marseille France was OK. The Monserrat tour was good, enjoyable. Barcelona Spain was very interesting. Gaudi tour was good. Cartagena was nice. A walking tour which I left a little early to wander in the food and shopping area, very nice. Gibraltar tour of the Gibraltar steps was very exhausting. Do not go unless you like to hike and look down for fear of tripping for 2 hours. But the older and younger tour guides were very nice and knowledgeable. Couldn't really hear a lot of what they said as we were spaced out along the narrow trail and I was at the back. All of my excursions I booked through the ship. For new places, I want to make sure if something happens the ship will not leave without making arrangements for me. My travel companions cancelled a couple of the tours because it was just too much walking on the ship (I booked the rooms and prefer to stay at the front of the ship so it was a lot of walking for them to get to the buffet and the dining rooms) along with the tour excursions, maybe because of their age. Although they are all pretty healthy. We stayed after in Rome for 2 1/2 days. I would want to visit Italy again but maybe just a land stay on the coast. Hope this helps

10 cities in 14 days

wendyleetaylor’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE
I know the cabin was a balcony and forward just don't remember the exact number or category. Just the basic balcony room.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    We took hop on hop off bus to see the sights....Before our cruise started...Then hired a driver to take us up the Sounio coast for a tour before we headed for the ship to start our cruise. He was very knowledgeable
    View All 1,270 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Saw the La Familia and other city sights. The tour guide was very good.
    View All 254 City Tour Reviews
  • Cartagena (Spain)
    Took a walking tour and then left the group to wander the shops and have a bite to eat. I enjoyed this city
    View All 445 Cartagena (Spain) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cartagena (Spain) Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Very exhausting and didn't get to see much as I was looking down a lot. The tour guides were good but I couldn't hear a lot cause we were spread out and I was at the back.
    View All 34 City Tour Reviews
  • Budva
    Great tour guide and beautiful city. Water was so blue and green.Wanted to go for a swim....
  • Aix-en-Provence
    It was OK, just walked the city and looked around and then had something to eat and drink. Pretty
    View All 111 Aix-en-Provence Reviews
  • Sorrento
    Can't remember all the details, but visited a shop which did inlaid stuff, very nice and then got free time. Really nice city to sightsee..
    View All 159 Sorrento Reviews
  • Island Tour
    tour was good and the city was OK. Kind of smelly and dirty. My friend who wanted to see Santorini was disappointed that there weren't more blue painted roofs which is shown in travel brochures. I didn't think it was much of a destination getaway.
    The so called vineyards have grapes which look like srcub brush. Very different from regular vineyards. An island which is not very pretty...
    View All 104 Island Tour Reviews
  • Mount Etna
    Tour guide didn't speak English well enough to be a tour guide. Thought we would see the volcano. No, you had to take the tram and we were told if we paid and it stopped because of high winds which happens often and missed our tour bus, we would have to find our own way back to ship which was an hour away. So instead we looked at the volcanic ground and had a cannoli and a beverage in a restaurant. Was kind of disorganized. People didn't know where to get their cannoli. Come to find out we had to go up the hill to another place. Then a lady got sick on the bus on the way back and the tour guide had nothing to give her to throw up in!.
    View All 84 Mount Etna Reviews