Crown Princess Cruise Review
2,116 Reviews

The weather in the South Pacific makes for the ideal cruise vacation.

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Dennis McGaughey

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: the South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Interior

I have sailed at least six times over the past 20 years in the South Pacific and always found the conditions ideal for a relaxing 'disconnect' from all the distractions at home.

I retired about 3 years ago so when I started shopping for a new cruise this past fall the length and location of this particular cruise seemed perfect. Last minute discounts for new bookings was also very helpful since I was traveling alone.

I have sailed on the Princess line on at least six previous times starting when we had young children with us in the early 90s. All of our experiences on this cruise line have been very positive. I like to describe it to others in car terms as the 'Fully Loaded Chevrolet'.

The ship was in very good condition and the crew are all very nice. The on board entertainment was generally good. The outdoor movie theater was really wonderful for both movies and live sporting events (NFL games & World Series) but was TOO loud on occasion.

The shore excursions were very well organised and interesting. I have come to the conclusion from past experience that the prices for these services have been raised so much that you can do much better by booking your own tours either in advance or immediately on shore when you arrive. I would estimate your savings in the 30 to 50% range.

The food and service in the dining rooms was of Four Star quality which is the same from all my previous cruises on Princess. The one item that has definitely become a major profit center is ANY alcoholic beverage. I would estimate that the pricing is at least 30% over what you would pay for similar services on shore. So from the view of the AA this is a friendly atmosphere!

Overall the experience on this LONG cruise was very good (20 sea days) and what made it exceptional were the variety of people from all walks of life who you could easily meet in the dining rooms on a random basis for breakfast, lunch & dinner!

Dennis McGaughey's Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin ID A745

It was the first time I have booked an interior cabin but since I was traveling alone it worked very well. The discount I received for booking this cabin only 6 weeks ahead of the sail date made this cruise possible.

Hanalei Valley

Standard bus transportation tour.

View All 4 Hanalei Valley Reviews
Hilo

Did not book a tour - Have been here on prior cruises.

Maui

Simply had lunch with friends who live on the island.

"Le Truck" Island Tour

Bus ride around the island - Have done same activity on prior visits.

View All 30 "Le Truck" Island Tour Reviews
Tahiti (Papeete)

Have been here several times on visits to Tahiti

Motu Islet Beach

I have done this same tour on four prior cruises - It is expensive but a nice day at the beach with a BBQ lunch. Plenty of shade also.

View All 17 Motu Islet Beach Reviews
Los Angeles

I am a resident of Los Angeles so I can't rate it except to say San Pedro where the ship is docked is a LONG way from major attractions.

Dennis McGaughey