3. Celebrity Eclipse
This was my fourth time on Celebrity, third time on an S class ship. I think they're the perfect size and layout. Because I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean, I'm also Elite on Celebrity, which gave several great benefits. My cabin attendant was the same I'd had on Equinox three years before, John, and our cabin was kept spotlessly clean. Embarkation was a nightmare because Customs delayed boarding. The lines were unbelievable even at 2 pm. Disembarkation was perfect. Our 2C veranda cabin on the sixth deck was the same I'd had on Equinox, so I knew the lifeboat would keep us from seeing straight down, but no other view was obstructed. We very much enjoyed sitting there with coffee. We our not show people so can't comment on any entertainment. We enjoyed the Passport Bar on 3 (William and Stanislav were excellent), the Casino Bar on 4 (I think Nenad was the name of the excellent bartender there), and occasionally the Sunset Bar and Sky Lounge. The staff throughout the ship, including the Captain and his officers, are very friendly, approachable, and obviously happy. Our other hangout was Cafe al Bacio and the Captain was often there speaking with cruisers. Unfortunately I have to remove one star for the dining. We were select dining and made reservations for 7 pm every night. Our first night, we were seated with spectacular waiters Jorge and Emilio. Afterward, we asked that we be seated in their section every night, even if we had to wait. But even though we twice waited ONE HOUR after our reservation, we were only seated in their section one other time! Additionally, the entire select dining system seemed completely disorganized. Everyone was stressed all the time and we were hurried through the meal. We also didn't care for many of the menus, and after turning to the standard "classic items" more than once because we didn't like anything on the evening's menu, we started eating dinner in the Oceanview buffet. The "classic" steak, formerly a NY strip steak, is now a "NY sirloin steak," which I've never heard of and certainly wasn't good quality. The buffet was very good for the most part, although their "theme nights" were a joke. Korean night, for example, did not even include kimchi or bulgogi, and when I asked about it, the manager seemed unaware that they were two of the most common foods in Korea. On the other hand, the buffet served some of the best fish I've ever eaten, and I quickly learned they would grill a steak or fish fillet to order when I requested it. In addition, the pizza was excellent and the ice cream server, Kelly, was the happiest and friendliest person on the ship - she is a gem! I can only assume the poor dining experiences in the MDR were meant to drive us to specialty restaurants. They were very aggressive trying to sell them, offering discounts most days and even willing to go lower if need be. We passed. We have booked another cruise on Eclipse one year from now and hope the dining situation - and menus - are much better. Our ports of Aruba, Curacao (overnight), Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten were all enjoyable and we were blessed with wonderful weather.

Bad Dining Experiences Removed the Fifth Star

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Podie

• Sail Date: November 2016
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda (partially obstructed view)

Podie’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda (partially obstructed view)
Cabin 2C 6254
Bed by closet, sofa by sliding doors. Very comfortable, nice size balcony.
Continental Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins