I really didn’t want to be too effusive about this cruise but I have to admit that I just can’t help myself. Embarkation and debarkation were both efficient. We have cruised Oceania many times and have always loved the quality of their cruises but this time we were treated to a ship that was not full; there were about 400 passengers for this 28-day cruise from New York to Miami via the Amazon River. This gave Oceania the chance to shine even more and it succeeded in doing so. Firstly, we picked this cruise because of its itinerary. We had not been to these ports but, more importantly, we also wanted to better understand the Amazon’s place in the world’s ecology. What we discovered is that there is no way to describe the Amazon without being there. It is more than just the largest, longest, highest volume, etc. river; it is amazing. But, don’t forget, it is on the equator. There is no easy way to describe just how hot it was there with the humidex included. Day after day of exhausting heat. Now, back to the cruise itself, I just can’t say enough because we had such a wonderful time. We felt busy every day and never felt bored. The food – well what can I say except that it was beyond spectacular, as was the service in the restaurants. Many of the other passengers that we met were ‘our crowd’ so again we just felt comfortable on this cruise. Our cabin was maintained to the highest standard. The entertainment we attended was entertaining. The lectures we attended were instructive. The martinis at happy hour were yummy. I’m sounding effusive again, sorry. If there was one thing I would change, it would be to cancel the Boca da Valeria port of call. It felt a bit exploitive. To end this, I want to say a big thank you to Yvan for his wonderful service and to his helper Aleksander (and to Spike, Yasa, Nyoman, Carlos, Cliton, Plamon and to too many others to mention but especially to the pizza chef) for making our dining experience on the ship so comfortable. Thank you to Esther and Charan (baristas) and to Igor and Angelie at Martinis. Thank you to our room attendants Alize and Aki. Thank you to the restaurant managers, Charnae, Faustin, Rinaldo, Susan, Georgio and Andrea. Thank you to Daniel in reception and to Mike in excursions. A huge thank you to Jennifer, Oceania Hostess, and to Gary for his wonderful cooking. (To all of you, I know that I have probably made a complete mess of spelling your names, please forgive me.)

Too effusive?

Sirena Cruise Review by Joe and Dave

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

Embarkation and debarkation were both efficient.

Joe and Dave’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Sirena price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin PH1
The bathroom was nicely redone and the bed was comfortable. Could use USB and more 110 volt plugs. The fridge was kept well stocked with pop and water.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins