3. Viking Sea
This was our first Viking sea cruise. Cruise critic are very positive about this firm with many 'excellent' comments and the deal offered, less than two months before departure, looked too good to be true. We'd previously been on a Viking River cruise, which we'd thoroughly enjoyed, so we thought we'd give it a go. Well, I am delighted to say that out of the 15 or so cruises to date this one was the best by quite a way! Many firms tell us that there staff are their greatest asset but, in my experience, the Viking Sea staff were streets ahead of other cruise companies. Maybe because of the guest/ staff ratio, they have more time to talk to the passengers but whatever the reason all staff on the ship were unfailingly courteous, helpful and engaging: nothing appeared to be too much trouble. To be fair, our transfer from Rome airport to Civitavecchia was less than satisfactory and Viking should think about the agents that they use in Rome for their transfers, as first impressions are important but as soon as we arrived at check in everything was smooth and seamless. Dining WOW! One of the main stereotypes of cruising is that you will eat far too much good food. Not always so ,in my experience, but everything here was fabulous. Even the burger bar was a triumph. The food was interesting, of high quality and varied. The self service ice-creams and coffee were spot on and the waffles and cakes in Mamsen's to die for. Evening dining was no less of an experience. The main dining room was friendly, spacious with an extensive choice and the service here was consistently outstanding. We dined at Manfredi's three times and enjoyed everything but I particularly liked the Bistecca Fiorentina and the dark chocolate Amaroni Cremosa. Not quite as wowed with the Chef's table but the wine pairing was interesting and I mostly enjoyed the food.. Not sure that a set menu is a winner. I found it a little pretentious. We 'did' afternoon tea once and again we were not disappointed. Enrichment activities Much enjoyed: a variety of speakers on a variety of stimulating, relevant topics. No 'dumbing' down. Loved artwork through out ship and 'Munch moments' before diner. Also the small museum and the many and varied books were a definite plus. Entertainment Only area we felt wasn't excellent. Started well with Opera Conservatoire but felt rest of evening shows lacked a certain something. Films rather traditional. Cabin 4108 Well designed, plenty of power outlets, very comfortable bed, lots of storage space (maybe a bit more drawer space on a 14 night cruise would have been useful). New ship ,so no issues with worn carpets etc. but cabin steward and his assistant brilliant in all respects keeping the place immaculate. Bathroom great, not a shower curtain in sight! and the heated floor is a bonus. Balcony no different to Celebrity, P&O etc but did have a voile in front of curtain. Would I go with Viking again. the answer is a resounding yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Munch and much, much more

Viking Sea Cruise Review by southampton observer

Dining WOW!

We 'did' afternoon tea once and again we were not disappointed.

Enrichment activities

Would I go with Viking again. the answer is a resounding yes!!!!!!!!!!!
southampton observer’s Full Rating Summary