3. Celebrity Summit
This was our 4th time on the Summit, so obviously, we like it. The Summit isn't new or huge ship, it has no ice skating rink, rock climbing walls, slides, or bumper cars. What is has is impeccable service, really good food, and I always meet the nicest people on her. I"ve been on larger, more modern and ships with more amenities, but the Summit is like comfortable shoes. There are no surprises (I don't like surprises), everything is just easy and relaxing, which is what I look for on a vacation. We left out of San Juan; embarkation was easy, in fact, we were the 3rd and 4th people to walk on the ship. The only hiccup is that we got in the "suites and Zenith" line, not realizing we had to drop our bags first, so we ended up schlepping our bags around with us for a couple hours. As this was our first suite class experience, we had priority boarding, and had lunch in Luminae vice our usual trip to the buffet. We then met up with our cruise buddies near the pool. The servers were there when you needed them, but not overly intrusive. We sat around chatting for an hour or two, and were then able to get into our cabin, which was a wheelchair-accessible sky suite. I'll address the cabin under that section of this review. Nelson, our butler, was very helpful. When we wanted to dine in the MDR with friends, he set it up, had our friend meet in our cabin, then escorted us to our table. On lobster (aka "chic") night, we had a wine and cheese party in our cabin prior to dinner with our friends, and again, were escorted to Luminae. Nelson brought wine glass, and cheese and shrimp platters. It was really nice. Dining: We ate primarily in Lumiae, which was an amazing experience. The service was on point, we met nice people, and the food was quite interesting. We prefer smaller portions of high quality food to large portions of "ok" food so it worked well for us. We ate breakfast in Luminae, which again was great. When we took friends with us to Luminae, most of the other diners had already left, so we pretty much had the space and server to ourselves. We had a fantastic meal, lots of variety, and an incredible bargain. We generally get breakfast in the buffet in order to get off the ship quickly. We also had yogurt parfaits in the spa cafe, a nice alternative if you are watching your diet. We normally go to Q-sine at least once, but as we were had Luminae, we didn't on this trip. The buffet was the usual, very good, and quite varied for such a small ship. The ship's officers were quite visible. I actually got a selfie with Captain Kate, and I'm not generally one for that kind of thing. She is truly a great ambassador to the cruise line. Very nice and personable. Activities: We don't go to shows, or do a whole lot of anything when we cruise. We really like wine tastings, and Celebrity tastings are always great. I inevitably get introduced to at least one kind of wine I've never tried. They aren't rushed, and don't feel like something you would expect in a liquor store on "Thirsty Thursday" such as I've experienced on other lines. And there were easily 50 people participating. My wife saw the comedian (Rondell Sheridan) and said he was great. I really enjoy the more intimate entertainment; the string duo, jazz band, that sort of thing. I really wish they would start getting reggae bands again, though. There's nothing like a good reggae band on the pool deck in the sun. I also played trivia, which was pretty normal, and fun. Public spaces. All were very clean, the stores are what you would expect. We aren't shoppers, so not much to say about that I gamble a little, again, it was about what one would expect. We spent a lot of time at the martini bar. If I had one wish, it would be that the bartenders didn't blast whistles when they poured martini flights. One night, I just got tired of it and went to the Sunset bar for some quiet. Bobby the bear is still in play at the martini bar. Those who know what I'm talking about will know what I'm talking about (It's a Summit thing). I got a few pics with him. Disembarkation was easy. I screwed up and didn't pay attention to when the dining options ended. Fortunately, we were spending a couple days after the cruise in San Juan, so it didn't really matter. Our bags were where they were supposed to be, and we were off the ship and through customs in a matter of minutes. Altogether, a lovely cruise, great ship, and I'm sure I'll cruise on the Summit again at some point in the future.

Comfortable Shoes

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Ardie12

Ardie12’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Sky Suite 2
Cabin S2 9121
From what I understand, this is the smallest suite on the ship. It was much larger than a standard cabin; it was easy for my wife and I to navigate without getting in each other's way. The cabin is right next to the elevators, and under the buffet area. On some occasions, there was some banging above us, but nothing too bad. The cabin is wheelchair-accessible, so the bathroom was huge.

The only downside is the veranda. Usually, verandas are at least as wide as the cabin, but not in this case, as the divider on one side canted in to allow space for the elevator. It also wasn't very deep. Getting on and off the veranda in a wheelchair would be a pain, because of the lip to the door.

So much roomier than a regular cabin, but not as "sweet" as some suites. You are really paying for Michaels club and Luminae access, priority embarkation and disembarkation, and the other amenities. We got an amazing deal, which is why we did it.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Antigua
    We've been to Antigua 3 times. Each time, we've gone to Jolly Beach. It's beautiful, there are a couple of vendors, but they are very cool, and don't bug you, which can't be said for vendors at other beaches. The location is secure, and feels very safe. The cab ride was $14 pp, round trip. Two chairs and an umbrella was $20, a bucket of 7 beers was also $20.

Jolly harbor is simply one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot of beaches. The water is clear, and pale blue; the sand white and clean. IT's just an amazing place to chill out, and a nice break from go-go-go excursions.
    View All 1,552 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    This was our second exclusion with Calabaza. They are a quality operator, very professionally run and organized, and very fun people. I would recommend that anyone looking for a high quality snorkeling tour consider this operator.

They limit the number of participants to 12, and go where the ship's tours don't, so you avoid bumping into other snorkelers. It isn't cheap, but it includes booze (great rum punch), and a really good lunch. IF you want quality, you pay for it, and it's worth every penny.
    View All 69 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Bioluminescent Bay Kayaking
    We stayed in SJ for 2 nights after a cruise. This isn't the best time of the year to do the bioluminescent bay trip, as it's better in warmer weather. There had also been rain, which diminishes the luminescence.

We booked with Kayaking Puerto Rico. the only hiccup was parking. They gave us no instruction as to where to park, and it's a very busy area. The woman signing us in recommended we move our rental car, but the place she was telling me to move it too was a "no parking" zone, and I didn't want to risk it. She said the car could get broken into where I had parked. I just left the car unlocked with nothing in it. I've found that's the the best way to keep your car from getting broken into.

Anyway, not great conditions, but very little moonlight, so it was really dark. Kayaking through a channel under mangroves with a tiny light on the kayak in front of you is a blast. Very serene, just listening to the sounds of the frogs and birds in the woods. My wife and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to go back in the summer and try it when conditions are better. And it isn't terribly expensive.
    View All 14 Bioluminescent Bay Kayaking Reviews
  • Ziplining
    I am the opposite of an adrenalin junkie. My wife really wanted to zip line, so I agreed to go. I told the operator that I was a huge chicken, afraid of heights, and prone to vertigo. They were very understanding, and said what was necessary to calm my nerves. Turns out it was a blast. It was raining the day we went, so a lot of people cancelled, which was perfect. We didn't have to stand in any lines, we had personal attention, and it was an altogether great time.

If you are seriously out of shape, you might want to pick another excursion, as it entails a lot of walking on net bridges, high up in trees, which requires some exertion. I'm not if great shape, but not too bad. I was sweating by the time we were done. As it turned out, the slightly rainy weather was probab;y much nice than doing it in 90 degree sun.

We're off to Costa Rica next, and I think we may do it again.
    View All 30 Ziplining Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    We have toured with Random Winds before, and really enjoyed it. This time, the weather was totally uncooperative. The crew soldiered on, and the small group of 6 people on the excursion were cool, so while it wasn't good ass a snorkel tour, it was fun, the food was good, and the overall experience excellent.

You just can't account for the weather.
    View All 124 Snorkeling Reviews
  • St. Thomas
    We did St John "on our own", as we've done on previous cruises. You can do a ship's excursion to St John, in which case you don't have to worry about missing the ship, but you don't have time to really enjoy it and eat lunch too.

I'll be back.