Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by eamonncarter

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: Trans-Ocean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A

I wanted to see the final race of the f1 season in Abu Dhabi via the Suez canal.Just a couple of things off my bucket list.

First night was at a hotel in Athens,because of the bombs in Turkey,so far so good,it seems like I am being looked after.taxi outside with my name being held up,I felt a tad important,taxi driver was very polite spoke good English and dropped me at the hotel front door,very impressed and well pleased.

After traveling all day a bit of food was called for,now it started to go wrong,1 waiter/barman,

tables not cleared and ! choice of food ( cold ) 79 euros for a couple of cold salads.

room good, but breakfast not very inspiring,hot food ,but it was cold,never mind soon be on the boat.

Taxi on time,( the taxis were provided by my booking co,not Celebrity ) got to port,embarkation was a bit of a queue,but got through eventually.

And I am on board,looks good,glass of champers as I board.had to wait to see the cabin (understandable) Had a cup of tea and waited to get called to cabin.

Nice cabin,clean if a bit tired,but it is a bit old now, bottles of water and minibar filled.

No kettle but it only became a problem when I realised I had to walk the length of the boat for a cup of tea,not good if you like a hot drink to retire with.

So I thought I would get a bite to eat,not having much breakfast,so off I go to find the buffet,then the first big problem appeared and continued through the voyage,the food was all lukewarm,now I like for that if it is supposed to be hot is hot not cool,and i had to queue as well.

Ok so off we go,boat quiet,stable,loads of information of things to do,it looks good.Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent,once you got used to celebrity trying to sell you posh dinners at silly money,at specialist restaurants on the way into the dining room.

Good nights sleep,bed was very comfy and off to breakfast,queue queue and queue again,lukewarm food,no English bacon most of the time,On the two weeks,I had nowhere to sit a couple of times.Don't be late for meals,they shut on time and choices dwindle towards the cut off time.

The entertainment consisted mainly of selling things,clothes/perfumes/watches,you name it,they made a venue for it.There was a couple of good shows in the two weeks but if you want to be entertained it's a bit weak.Mr and Mrs and the passengers singing,nice if you are in it or know someone in it,but if not it's poor.The captain gave a couple of good daytime talks as did a racing driver whose name I forget.( sorry ) But this were 1 hour talks in the morning.

Watch out for the prices,at 1 of the watch sales,the prices were the same as my local high st ( in England ) so things are not the bargain they seem.

Quizes in the rendezvous bar good but again no waiters I barman in a room full of people ?? really not good,and it was the same all through the trip.

Suez good, one of the bucket list done then we cleared the canal,into open waters,and the announcement came all outside lights off all curtains closed in case of PIRATES,now I would not have got on the boat after reading about pirates in the press,so for 5 days,not a happy bunny,yes they put guards on,but even though,it was a downer on the trip.

Cleared the waters,all good,and landed at Muscat,on a friday which is a holy day it was closed,a waste of a day.

Got to Abu Dhabi got my 2 day tickets,at 4pm we landed now that is not a lot of good if you want to watch the f1 that you have bought tickets for,then you have to clear customs,now the practice has bin and gone,too late for that,but the qualifying starts at 5.Celebrity decided at the last minute to put a shuttle bus on,at the last minute only $30 .00 a head.

The people in the posh cabins get to get through customs first,and first call on the shuttle bus,made me feel poor that did.

But still decided to go for it,cleared passport control,ran ( as best I can at my age ) grabbed another couple going to the race ,and dived in a cab( there were dozens )The cab dropped us at the gate we needed,and charged us $21.00 for the four of us .Celibrity rip off again.

Got there to see end of p3 but I still got to see p2 and qualifying.

To sum up,it is just not as good as it could be,I was on a Thomson cruise earlier in the year and it was miles better,for food and entertainment.More drink stations,and kettles in the cabins.

You get charged a flat rat per day for the tips at the end of the trip,it's supposed to go to the staff,but it is all or nothing you can't pay a percentage of it,if you get bad service from one member of staff.The staff were all good,especially the dining room,but in the buffet they only spoke and got helpful on the last 2 days ( prob for the tips )

Would I go on a cruise again,definitely,would I go Celebrity never again !!

eamonncarter's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 6035

It was ok but nothing to get exited about. The bed was good.

Athens (Piraeus)

Only there for a few hours,did not go out of hotel.

Aqaba (Petra)

Got in a taxi for 3 hours,driver very knowledgeable and helpful,spoke really good English

Muscat

Friday is a Holy day,it was shut.A waste of a day.

Ferrari World Abu Dhabi

Ferrari world ok, but Disney does it better. Few new cars and a couple of rides. Did it in a couple of hours,got it with tickets for f1 so it was ok.

View All 3 Ferrari World Abu Dhabi Reviews
Yas Marina Circuit

Excellent circuit,but not very visitor friendly,you can't look around the outer circuit inside,you have to try to get a bus which are all full.nearest taxi rank is half a mile walk away.Water is took off you at the gate,so you have to buy it again inside,

View All 4 Yas Marina Circuit Reviews