3. Jewel of the Seas
My family and I cruised with Royal Caribbean on October 27th – November 6th we did the 10-night Mediterranean Cruise our ports of call were: Chania, Crete – We booked the Best of Crete Excursion with Royal Caribbean if I could do it all over again I would have not booked my excursions with Royal, I found them to be all overpriced. Mykonos, Greece – Mykonos is breathtaking! We loved everything about Mykonos, great shopping, great food (please have lunch along the beach area) and breathtaking views! We took the Ano Mero Monastery with Scenic Island Drive tour. Another tour that I wish we would have taken on our own. Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey – Ephesus was one our favorite ports we booked our excursion via Royal Caribbean Best of Ephesus and we had an extremely hard time understanding our tour guide but, we made the best of our experience. Our tour included a visit to the House of the Virgin Mary, and it was a remarkable experience (a must see). We also made a stop to see the Ancient Ruins and that was a site to see! The tour was filled with history. We also stopped to see a carpet demonstration, please do not be alarmed the sales staff were not pushy at all. They served us Turkish wine and snacks. We later went back to town (near the cruise terminal) did a bit of shopping and the shopping was wonderful- jewelry, leather handbags and crafts were all priced reasonably and good quality I must add! Santorini, Greece – Santorini was one of our favorite stops. Our tour was the Island of Santorini and Village of Oia. Oia is spectacular (please don’t forget to take your cameras) you will see beautiful blue domed churches with white washed buildings, the twisting cobblestone alleyways were impressive the views are picturesque! We headed to a winery and enjoyed wine and the magnificent views. There is only one way to get up to the volcanic island – we docked at sea and took a small boat over, once you are on the island you can walk up 200 + flights of stairs or take a tram. But, if you have booked your excursion through Royal Caribbean there will be a tour bus waiting for you to escort you up. To get down can take a tram, walk or take a donkey down. Many prefer the tram. If you do decide to take the tram please be prepared to wait in a long line. Athens (Piraeus), Greece – We booked the Ancient Athens, Plaka and Shopping with Royal Caribbean, this tour was a waste of money, our tour guide was not knowledgeable the tour was rushed. Passengers were held on the ship for a few hours and were not allowed to leave the cruise ship all passengers’ passports were taken up by staff and were handed over to the Greece Port Authorities we were not allowed to clear the ship until each passport had been viewed by Greece Port Authorities which caused all excursion to be delayed. Royal Caribbean did an outstanding job in handling this process and we were given the additional hours back by Royal (we stayed in Athens longer). However, our tour guide rushed us and shorten our excursion. Never again will I book my excursion via Royal Caribbean. Sicily (Messina), Italy - We booked the Taormina on Your Own Transfer with Royal Caribbean and this was an amazing excursion I wish that we had longer time in Taormina – the town is lovely great shopping, the pizza is delicious and please try the cannoli’s. I will definitely do this tour again but with a taxi. Naples (Capri), Italy - We originally booked an excursion with Royal but decided to cancel and so happy that we canceled! We took a taxi to Sorrento, made stops along the way, Pompeii and a tour of Sicily. We saved money and had a chance to see so much more than what our original excursion offered our driver was knowledgeable and friendly. The best shopping out of all our ports was is in Naples right at the Port. When you exist the ship there are several shops you will find great deals on leather. Jewel of the Seas Food: The food was good and the dining room staff went over and beyond to ensure that you had a memorable dining experience. I wish that Jewel of the Seas would invest in more complimentary restaurants like other cruise ship/lines opposed to charging for every restaurant except the Windjammer, we already pay an astronomical amount for the cruise and having to pay additional for food is ridiculous – adopting the all-inclusive concept is ideal. Things needed are smoothie bars, burger joints, taco and deli shops. There were major renovations completed in 2016 but, kind of hard to notice what the additions were added– my husband and I were on Jewel of the Seas November of 2015 and it was hard to determine what was remodeled, yikes… Overall great experience!

10 Night Mediterranean Cruise