3. Radiance of the Seas
We were so excited to be taking a 17 day cruise in Australia but the disappointment started before we left the USA. We chose "My Time Dining" (hint: NEVER DO THIS) and made reservations on-line for all 16 nights. About 3 weeks before we left the reservations for 2 of the 3 in our party were cancelled without any notice from RCL. Apparently they felt it appropriate for my wife to dine alone every night. After a few calls I was able to re-establish the reservations, They tried insisting that my requested time was no longer available. Needless to say, I was not happy and they finally relented and gave us the requested times. While we encountered MANY disappointments, the staff were NOT one of them. Our cabin steward, waiters,bartenders and casino employees were FABULOUS. RCL should be glad they have employees that care about their customers because I am beginning to question if management does. Dining was a disaster virtually every night. We had a 6:30 PM reservation every night. Many nights that was inexplicably changed on the slip delivered to our stateroom. Often to 6:15, then we were told we were late when we arrived at 6:30. Note, no one could/would explain why the time changed or why we weren't given some notice. The Maitre d was rude and insisted that we abide by the time assigned. Cabin - we were in Cabin 1052, a Grand Suite on the port side on Deck 10. The suite was very typical for RCL and was in good shape with a decent balcony. You should note that the stateroom has no balcony privacy due to the curve of the ship and the large stateroom just behind this one. NOISE is a problem in this stateroom. While close to the Centrum, we did not have an issue with noise from the entertainment. We DID HAVE A PROBLEM with the decision to clean, move and drop the pool lounge chairs on Deck 11 AFTER MIDNIGHT directly above some of the most expensive cabins on the ship. Our neighbors complained and the noise stopped for 2 nights. On the very last night of the trip they chose to start cleaning at 3:04 AM, I know because I woke and couldn't get back to sleep due to the noise. I am not a light sleeper, this is a problem RCL needs to address. Food - was standard for RCL but frankly, the menu in the main dining room continues to deteriorate. While we enjoyed our meals, the quality and selection is not great. The Windjammer is becoming the equivalent of a cheap buffet with very mediocre quality. Entertainment - was some of the best we have seen in over 15 cruises. The RC Singers and Dancers put on a series of premiers and they shined. Very high quality across the board for entertainment. Itinerary - We were excited to be able to see much of the southern portions of Australia along with New Zealand. Unfortunately, Mother Nature did a number on us and we had to cancel the entire southern island of New Zealand. While I recognize that this was a necessary decision, there was so little information given that many, many passengers felt betrayed. The addition of 2 sea day and 3 replacement ports was less than ideal. In fact, many of the Australians on board found the addition of Newcastle as almost insulting. While it was an interesting little town, there really wasn't much to do for the passengers. In fact, RCL only had a total of 4 available excursions. It seemed poorly planned and executed. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed Australia and some aspects of the cruise but, frankly, we are reconsidering our loyalty to RCL. For reference, we are Diamond Plus level CAS members

Royal Disappointment - Radiance

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by phredclark

phredclark’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 1052
THIS CABIN HAS SERIOUS NOISE PROBLEMS!!!!! For some inexplicable reason, they choose to clean, move and DROP the pool lounge chairs directly above this cabin AFTER MIDNIGHT. This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. Several of our neighbors complained and we got little relief from management. The room itself is fine but the noise is an issue
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins