3. Celebrity Silhouette
MY sister and I sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette November 20-27, cruising the Eastern Caribbean with stops at San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We booked Concierge Class and had a terrific veranda cabin on the tenth floor, with an extended balcony and deep overhang to protect us from rain. Big high five to my sister and our agent for recommending this particular room. Boarding was a snap once we navigated the crazy port traffic and parking. (I wasn’t delighted, though, to find security so lax that a hundred cars were waved through the port entrance when things got backed up!!) It was wonderful to find the extremely short line and jiffy service at the CC seapass station. That perk really pleased me! After the expected uncomfortable wait in that steamy terminal, we boarded Silhouette eager to get started. CC includes a complimentary lunch in the MDR, so I had an easy start meeting some fellow passengers and sampling butternut squash soup, lamb and cheesecake… avoiding the crowds and grumbling of day one. Sail away was very pretty - we left a bit behind schedule so the sun was at a nice low angle and the port looked its best. Well, I’m a sucker for ANY sail away. I’m always on deck when we leave. And at night. I spent every night wandering the colorful decks wondering why everyone was inside and leaving the ship all to me! Got to test out the cabanas, the hammocks, the areas that are too busy or noisy at daylight. The Cruise Critic party was a bit of a let down; I didn’t really meet anybody I clicked with, sorry guys — but it was nice to be given some special attention and introduction to the officers! Kudos to Celebrity for going an extra bit to let us know they appreciate our reviews and observations! I saw a performance of “Life” the first evening, and though it definitely is limited in production values, they have signed some great singers and acrobats, notably Dante who pretty much stole the show on that evening. I was glad to see some of the entertainers in the bar or out on deck, having a chance to thank them personally for a great time. Now, let me be a bit unkind - the show music and their theater performers - who did occasionally do appearances in the main lobby - were great. The live music scattered throughout the ship’s bars seemed to me sub par. I won’t single anybody out, but if you hear a guitar strumming at the Sunset bar, grab your drink and move on. We took advantage of a first-day-discount on Murano’s, one of the “upscale” restaurants. We had generous ship credit this voyage so we were willing to try a couple of their promoted restaurants. I will say, food is tenfold better than what we had in the MDR. Chateaubriand steak was served, thinly sliced and melt-in-your-mouth tender. I’ve honestly forgotten what the starter and dessert were… The two sea days gave us time to explore the ship, luxuriate on the balcony, meet folks at the bar and have fun at the casino. High marks on pretty much everything there. Casino had good variety and frequent, if minor, payouts on slots. The bars varied in attitude and efficiency, and we ended up favoring the Martini Bar for lively bartenders, amazing pours and party atmosphere. For a quiet drink we often ended up at the Passport Bar near guest relations (might as well since I had to replace my seapass twice) The Sunset bar was less attractive than on the Connie, though, until one extremely breezy and cool night. Little time was spent at the always-busy casino bar or the World Class Bar. Secundo al Bacio (sp?) was the fastest bar on ship, located in the Oceanview Cafe. Yes we did a lot of bars. That was the plan all along :-) We met great people and couples during our bar hangouts. Love the people who cruise Celebrity, a great cross action of lifestyles nationalities and interests. We arrived in beautiful San Juan on time but we were in no hurry to go ashore.. let the rest go first. We did get into Old San Juan eventually, but within twenty minutes a huge downpour flooded the streets and sent everyone running for cover. Even those with umbrellas suffered - no protection against the ankle deep water in the streets!! We managed during this rain event to sneak into a bar and coffee shop, and saw some romantic images of wet streets and pretty colored houses.. But soaked to the bone after an hour, we retreated to the ship to dry off and enjoy the sunset and evening lights. I’ll have to come back some day and see the city proper. I think it was that night we went to the Tuscan Grille. I enjoyed this more than Murano’s, though we over-ordered and had to scale back our initial request, foregoing soup and salad. Everything was excellent - calamari, meatballs, filet mignon, cake and lemoncello. Ahhhh. Recommended. The next day we arrived in St. Thomas, and it was my favorite port of the trip. We set out for downtown, but came upon the Paradise Point incline first. It was on my must-do list, so we jumped aboard. We were so happy with the view, and the service, and the temperature, and the food, and drink -- that we spent most of our day up there! Great talking with Jai, and watching showers move through the mountains while seaplanes darted around the coast (note: we FORGOT not to drink the local water and ended up distressed that evening. Drink only bottled water!). We left port before sunset, sadly.. St Maarten was our destination on the next day, and our fatigue with “made in china” souvenirs and hot pavement led us to opt out. There were seven ships in port, which I’d guess means at least 20,000 visitors. All spilling into an unshaded plot of concrete. Just didn’t look inviting. Another ship day, hooray, that's my style. The spectacle of six huge liners side by side was amazing. Spent a lot of time walking the decks. Two more sea days back to Ft Lauderdale. They were NOTABLE. The first day started with some cloudy skies and fog, but eventually grew into an alarming-to-me storm. I am no mariner. I can only go with my eyes, inner ear, and the wide eyes of other cruisers with decades of experience: “I’ve never seen it this BAD”. Gee, THANKS. Seriously though - what an adventure! I’m a fan of thrill rides and that’s what this was - a four hour thrill ride. The stakes are the same. You “know” you’re perfectly safe but your gut is telling you OH MY GOD RUN AWAY!! I was scared, but more thrilled. The only time I really got nervous was when we took the advice to move to the lower floors to minimize the motion. In the halls and elevator lobby you could hear the ship creaking and groaning. EEYOW! But again I “knew” we were safe. We thought the Passport Bar on three would be ideal. UH, turns out it has huge windows that magnify and distort the waves. So, no escaping destiny. The bad weather passed and another night of dining drinking and entertainment ensued. On our last day at sea, one last “Holy Cow” moment. They had to evacuate a man in serious condition, so the ship came to a stop 500 miles from Florida and the Coast Guard came by on a chopper to take the man and medical staff (I assume) by basket!! I dearly hope that gentleman had trip insurance - and that he has fared well. The less said about disembarkation the better; everything was running late and we waited an hour past our scheduled departure with NO announcement of how long we’d be delayed. Lots of people were carrying off all their luggage and the customs line was typically congested. Sometimes those last few hours can defeat the feeling of satisfaction the previous seven days presented. NOTES An overview on the food - the MDR was disappointing. Not bad - but not memorable until they brought out lobster. Oh, my dinners were all prepared as ordered and beautifully served. But blandness was the overall impression, perhaps a nod to the crowd that is mostly retirees. The Oceanview Cafe saw a lot less of me this time - losing the hot panini station and sushi bar were bad moves, I say. Ate lunch there once, and occasionally grazed on their delicious breads. Suitable. Cafe al bacio remains the much ignored gem of free snacks. The cheesecake there is inexplicably better than the MDR. Room service - apparently run by the casino staff - never knew what to expect? Tepid coffee in half full paper cups, tiny mugs of fresh coffee or steaming carafes? And the "eggs" - no thank you. That must sound harsher than I mean to. Simply a minor disappointment. Steward - poor Effram (sp?) was always sweating buckets and I feel like he thought we were disappointed in his service. We tried to convince him otherwise, we try to no be “difficult” guests, but we made a couple of requests that probably red flagged us in his view. Sorry Effram. You rocked! Special thanks to (sorry most names elude me) all the bartenders at the Martini Bar, Juan in the MDR, poor suffering Effram, our concierge, and our captain and crew who took us through stormy seas and maybe even saved a life, and my sister, who took me on the adventure of 2016!! So overall Celebrity scores big with me again, and I’d cheerfully recommend them to anyone. The stops on this tour were very nice, though I’d rather it wasn’t three days in a row, would have liked a sea day between ports. In retrospect I regret missing St. Maarten, but it was due to it being third in a row and darn hot... Also- I found this ship rolled a lot - every single day of the cruise, I felt motion. Not upsetting, but noticeable. This may be common for these seas in this are and date, I don’t honestly know. Or out tenth floor location. I was rocked to sleep every night.

Long winded review of a great voyage.

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by torgotom

• Sail Date: November 2016
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class

Yes we did a lot of bars. That was the plan all along :-)

I’ll have to come back some day and see the city proper.

NOTES

torgotom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C3 1046
Typical cabin but with an extended balcony and overhang due to ship design. No obstructions to view. Great view of wake, seas, sunset. VERY close to elevators, but not noisy.
Sky Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins