Viking Lofn Cruise Review

Viking rules the Rhine, *but ...

Viking Lofn Cruise Review by cheechaku

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom

Wow! When I researched river cruises, I thought Viking must be planting positive reviews, but now I know, they're the real deal. We are economy travelers on our first river cruise. We enjoyed 6 ocean cruises, until RC's low standards turned us off to giant Hotel 6 ships. (Smaller is always better). River cruises are always on sale 2-4-1 and we bit - and it tasted Delicious! Super clean, Outstanding service (budget $15 pp/day because the staff earns & deserves their tips), Fine dining, Nice guests, Well Planned itineraries, Great value - All Superlatives earned by Viking. Relax & Learn. The shore excursions were Super; the guides Excellent*. Forget the salty seas and go down to the rivers. We will be back and Viking will be our choice.

Now the "but"s: the drinks are way overpriced in the bar (but the pianist was superb), stick with the included wine & beer at meals and avoid pricey cocktails & wine upgrades (or buy their drink package if you're a heavy drinker). While the included land excursions were Great, our paid optional tours were busts. On shore 'German Dinner' was bad food, poor service & forced fun (maybe the on board dining spoiled us - we were told the 'Rude'esheim dinner was just authentic ly bad). I could only score 2 beers from the absent waitresses. Forget the 'train' (it's a tractor pulling carriages) and walk to the same restaurant for better food & service (that happened). Also, the Moselle Wine Tour was Painfully Bad (*maybe a better guide would have saved it). We loved the 2 small tastes of great Reisling wine (yup, that was it - with a bowl of old pretzels) but I could have given a better tour. I heard second-hand that Mercedes factory tour was also a waste of time. Yet the included tours were all very good.

Tips: cheap staterooms are great, no need for a big window on one side, use the ship. Shop the deals (we saved with VTG). Don't skip the wheelhouse tour. Try to eat less than I did (try). Thanks, Gavin, Joy, Jane & Elvir - Love you all! Woody

cheechaku's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Stateroom
Cabin F 102

All Good. No complaints.

Strasbourg

"the dirtiest city in Germany, but the cleanest city in France"

Wine Tasting

Locals drinking at a mobile wine tasting table on a trailer behind a tractor were having a lot more fun.

View All 29 Wine Tasting Reviews
City Tour

Franco, the guide on our included excursion, made the cathedral fascinating - and I'm no fan of churches - or their witch burnings...

View All 125 City Tour Reviews
Canal Tour

Very Interesting, but glad we went early day before the Crowds. And I did get lost on the short walk from a coffee shop back to the ship

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews