3. Seven Seas Mariner
After a savvy cruiser told us one of her favorite cruise line was Regent, we decided to give it a try. Probably I overhyped myself to a level that was hard for Regent to fulfill. But upon further pondering I concluded that despite my own overblown expectations the service of the cruise was for sure way below average specially considering the price premium.  The amount of service offenses are too many to even describe them. I will mention a few of my negative observations as well as some of the positive points. Food was on the better side of my experience but I still found specifically breakfast to be the biggest letdown. I have seen food better presented on school cafeterias than on the Verandah restaurant. I hardly think of six stars when the prevailing items on the hot food section is Bacon, Eggs, Beans and Sausage presented in a straight forward boring way. THe almost 1 to 1 guest crew ration is very misleading if you include crew that have no contact with the passengers and this was evident in the terrace part of the Verandah where only two waiters saw to over 16 tables. The all too common never say no attitude at Silversea ships was not evident here. We got a bunch of no's to even common requests. Even after 20 Million refurb, some major maintenance and cosmetic faux pas were visible. It's only fair to also acknowledge my positive impressions. The space to guest ratio is outstanding to the point that the ship sailing at full capacity seems empty most of the time. The tours were expertly arranged and they made the itinerary seem full of special features. Fantastic interactive TV that displays even diner menus at all restaurants. I will not be sailing with Regent again. If service at a reasonable price is my calling I can find much better options that consistently deliver fine service like Holland America. But if I do want to splurge on an ultra luxury cruise line Regent fall far behind perennial leaders Seabourn and Silversea specially considering they are both launching bigger better brand new ships.

Over Hyped

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by octubre29@hotmail.com

• Sail Date: June 2009
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

It's only fair to also acknowledge my positive impressions.

Fantastic interactive TV that displays even diner menus at all restaurants.

octubre29@hotmail.com’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Seven Seas Mariner price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin C 802
Great room. Super comfy beds. Probably best I have ever slept in. Great walk in closet and bath just below Silverseas. Balcony a bit on the small size
Deck 9 Suite Cabins