Independence Cruise Review

Lived Up to Their Slogan - Perfect

Independence Cruise Review by Cowgirl10

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: the USA

American Cruise Lines has a slogan, "Small Ship Cruising Done Perfectly." Yep, they certainly did it. Everything was perfect. The food was scrumptious. I liked that they offered half portions, so I was less tempted to overeat. There were only 60 on the Cruise, although the ship will carry 98. With open seating at meals, we got to meet so many interesting people.

The Line caters to older passengers. They were always there to assist. The elevator for handicapped was most welcome. I have some mobility issues.

Our state room was very comfortable and spacious, with a small private balcony. We could control our own temperature, or open the window for fresh air. The state room had so much drawer space that we could not fill it all, and a closet. :-)

My husband was able to workout every morning on an elliptical on the top deck.

The on-board lecturer was great about answering questions about the area, and gave several interesting talks. He came on some of the excursions, and added an additional dimension to local guides. Many of the excursions were accessible for the less mobile. I did not try any walking tours, although my husband did. The excursions were well planned and gave a good look at the area (Historic South). Do note that excursions are extra, and you are billed only for those that you attend.

There was on-board entertainment nightly. Mostly it was some type of music or a lecture. One day, we played bingo, and I won the top prize - a big bag of souvenirs! Another day, the chef demonstrated how to make a bread cornucopia. His creations were on display for our fantastic Thanksgiving Dinner.

There is no bar on the ship, but complimentary wine and beer was served at lunch and dinner. At 5:30 every evening, a very complete bar was set up in the lounge for complimentary cocktails, beers or wines. We did not lack for festive alcohol. Fabulous appetizers accompanied the cocktail hour.

It is difficult to say enough about the remarkable service. The entire crew worked very hard; they were always up-beat and smiling. The captain was most accessible. He dined with the passengers when he could. Gratuities were included in your cruise price.

This is not a cruise for children.

Cowgirl10's Full Rating Summary

Cabin AAL 217

Very comfortable, spacious. Private balcony. Could control own temperature, window opened. Plenty of storage space. Very quiet.

Charleston

How can I review an excursion that I did not take?

Cowgirl10