• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Elation Review

Editor Rating
2 Awards

Swine Flu didn't ruin our trip!

Review for Carnival Elation to the Mexican Riviera
DETraveller
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2009
Cabin:

I've wanted to go on a cruise for the longest time, but my boyfriend really didn't think cruising was for him. So, I found the perfect "starter cruise" - a 3 day cruise with a stop in Mexico. The price was right, and I was super excited to stop in Ensenada.  Unfortunately, we were on our trip the week of the swine flu outbreak. Carnival sent out a pre-recorded message informing us of our port change. The information came out later than promised, but with all of the last minute scrambling to get the word out, it was understandable.The ship: It was a little dated, but clean and comfortable. Our room was near the Atrium Bar, but you really couldn't hear anything at night. The gym was very nice, and the yoga class was good for beginners as well as people who have taken prior classes. We enjoyed the mini-golf, which wasn't crowded, and was on a deck by itself with the running/walking track.Food: The dinning room was nice - our tablemates were very pleasant. Our waiter was nice, and they put on a little show one night which was amusing. The food was very tasty, and they had a good selection. I've read complaints about the lobster, but I thought mine was amazing. And if there was something you didn't like, they would bring you a different entree.  The desserts were also impressive. The sushi bar in the casino had long lines, but it was worth it. Breakfast had a huge selection as well as an omelette bar. Lunch was also quite good.Entertainment: The shows were a little cheesy, but still fun. The piano bar was also a good time. Staff: The staff was very friendly and the cruise director was a real hoot. We had towel animals every night. I can't think of one bad thing to say about the cruise - despite having to go to a different port than planned. This wasn't a luxury cruise, but it was fun, relaxing and a great value. I wouldn't hesitate to go again.

previous reviewnext review