3. Norwegian Jade
Just returned from our 7 day thanksgiving cruise on the Norwegian Jade and thought I'd submit my review. We've cruised with Norwegian 4 other times, the last time being in 2009. We stopped cruising on Norwegian because over the 4 years ending in 2009 we saw the service and quality deteriorate to the point where we no longer felt like welcome guests. When we first started cruising with them, we thought it was a step above Carnival, but the service and quality is no longer at that level. After a 7 year drought we decided to give them another shot. We were disappointed. The Good: The Jade is a beautiful ship and well maintained. Our embarkation went fairly smooth, and we were on the ship within 35 minutes due to the short latitudes member line. Our room, 11650, was a handicap, aft-facing mini-suite and they provided ample space. Our friends were in a mini-suite that was about 2/3 the size of ours. The room itself was well maintained and clean. Reggie, our stateroom steward made sure we had everything we needed and kept the room neat and clean. We had the unlimited drink package (as did most folks on the ship due to the Free at Sea promotion) and the drinks were plentiful, tasty, and we never had to wait long to get our drink order filled. The bartenders really worked hard this cruise! The stage shows were terrific, far superior to anything we have seen on Carnival recently. The comedian was ok, I much prefer the Punchliner comedy club on the Carnival fleet for that type of entertainment. Cagney Steakhouse - Really good steak (I had a 32 oz. Porterhouse and felt really guilty that I could only finish 1/2). Appetizers and dessert were a step above. The service was terrific. The Bad: Garden Cafe - The buffet on the lido deck was not very good. Unlike Carnival, you cannot get a fresh deli sandwich, fish and chips, Guy Fieiri burger, or any special item at lunchtime. Choices at breakfast were lackluster and common cruise ship items were either hard to find (eggs benedict) or not even available (smoked salmon). They were very quick to make you an omelet, but the egg they ladled in was a funky redish color. Not very appetizing to see. Grand Pacific (one of 2 Main Dining Rooms) - Dinner choices are king of dull, never saw Filet Mignon or Lobster on the MDR menu unless you paid a $25 upcharge. Thanksgiving dinner was surprisingly good, but my other meals were just so-so. Le Bistro - Service was terrific. I ordered Swordfish that was really dry so I returned it and tried the Coq au Vin, which was good, but not spectacular. Spouse had puff pastry with seafood that tasted really good. But all in all, We wouldn't pay extra to go here again. Moderno (Brazilian Steakhouse) - Slow service and the meat was very salty. Filet Mignon was less seasoned so it was better, but the sirloin steak (which was first presented to us as a garlic Filet Mignon), lamb (overcooked) and other cuts of steak were very salty. Salad bar was good. Took 4 of us over 2 hours to eat. We would sometimes wait 10 minutes between the different cuts coming out from the kitchen, as there were only 2 (max) people walking around with the entrees. We would not go again. The Ugly: Casino - We are not high stakes gamblers, but we like to play in casinos both on land and sea. I have never been in a casino where the slot machines paid so little. For example, I played $20 and after reaching $0 (at $.45/spin) I calculated that the machine had paid out only $.85. Most every machine We played did not fare much better. Stay away from the slot machines and play the tables. It's not much fun when practically every spin pay's less than was bet! Guest Services Staff - Interacted with them twice. First time, they sent me to the wrong floor and location to fix my dining reservations. Second time after knowing that I missed the very short 2 hour window (7 - 9pm on the last night, dinner took that long) to pick up the bottle I purchased in port, they still sent me to the conference room in the front of the ship. Once I got there I was sent back to the coffee bar DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE GUEST SERVICES DESK I STARTED AT! Grand Pacific Dining room, Wednesday dinner - Seated at 6:55pm, took order at 7:10pm, receive our appetizers at 7:45pm, 50 minutes after we sat down and only after I complained to the Maître D'. Didn't finish dinner until 9:15pm. Super slow service for a so-so meal! As I indicated in the beginning of this review, we were disappointed and it will probably be another 7 years before we give Norwegian another try, if we ever do!

First Norwegian Cruise in 7 years and probably the last!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by adcruise

The Ugly:

adcruise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

• Costa Maya
    Took the trolley ($3.00 pp) to Mahahual beach and had a great day eating, drinking, sunbathing and swimming at the Krazy Lobster beachfront restaurant. There is also a boardwalk that stretches for a mile or so, nice to walk on!
    View All 2,517 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Cozumel
    Daughter went shopping for a horse saddle and purchased one for about half what they cost in the states
    View All 6,685 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    Rainy day so we couldn't enjoy the beach. I walk with a cane and the pier was very long. only 1 7 passenger golf cart to move all the disabled folks down the pier from the ship. It was mayhem! Shops were overpriced. Unlike private islands in the Bahamas, there was no beach BBQ or other free food on the island. Drink and food, (even though the island is called a Norwegian private island) all cost extra, even if you have the beverage package on the ship. In my opinion, if it is raining, there is no reason to even leave the ship!
    View All 1,121 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    4th time booking with Victor and 3rd time with tour guide Big Ald! There were 7 of us and we first visited Greenfield Children's home and donated clothes and school supplies for the 23 children that live there. From there we went to Victors place and enjoyed the monkeys and the zip line. He has added more zip line stops and the whole course takes about 45 minutes from end to end. Finally we asked Big Ald to bring us to our favorite resort on the Island, Parrot Tree Resort. We swam and ate lunch until we had to return to the ship. If you are going to visit Roatan, book with Victor and ask for Big Ald!
    View All 224 Island Tour Reviews