3. Serenade of the Seas
RCCL has disappointed us for a very special trip. If not for the Islands, the friends we made on board and some of the staff, this would be rated the lowest rating. I'll start with the good: 1) Cafe Latitudes- the BEST! (Better than Starbucks- in fact, we had Starbucks the day after and though it was horrid compared to the Caramel Macchiato on the ship!) 2) Not hearing loud speaker announcements every 5 minutes for sales pitches like another cruise line 3) The elevators (while not perfect) were really overall good in getting. Minimal frustrations. 4) Most staff members very friendly and helpful - some were just rude and snippy, but considering the conditions and some other guest behaviors, I can't say I blame a few of them. 5)Some staff did try to rectify problems- Assistant housekeeping manager being one, the MDR manager another. 6)Photography team were fab 7)Muster was the best-- love not being out in the heat! (not sure if that went for everyone or not but I was happy with seat inside for this short event) Now for the disappointments: 1) Not having decoration packages available (cancelled 2 days prior to sailing- turned out to be vendor's fault but Main office was little help- Ship housekeeping acted on my email of disappointment) 2)Communications between main offices and ship are horrid... who is to blame is not my problem. I know the notes were in the system as I put them there myself! (and, no, I did not book as an industry reduced passenger- I pay as a regular guest when I travel) 3)Communications on the ship are bad- excursions cancelled- note put on door late when we were out enjoying ship and find note too late to follow instructions to confirm an alternate- excursion desk tells me next morning Guest Services could have helped-- but their voicemail (which I got in the morning) and note did not say to contact that desk! Also every invite and a lot of the compass important notes had the wrong day of the week listed... or the day of the week was right but the date wrong. 4) Cabin attendant taking food out of our room when we hadn't touched it-- just assumed we didn't want it... (covers still on and untouched)... when in fact we were keeping it for later only to return to find it gone..not big deal for ship provided food but when I paid for the in room delivered goodies and they were taken out without asking, then big problem! 5)Not getting what I asked for in notes (ice bucket for wine and wine glasses- on notes and asked 2 times).. 6)Finding our door cracked open 2 times and 1 time propped open (cabin attendent cleaning but not in room and didn't come to the room for 5 minutes after we had entered)... I get that they go into cabins but to leave a door open to anyone to waltz in is not acceptable 7)Putting us at table for 12 when we requested table for 2 8) Serving us Lobster bisque (allergic to lobster) when we ordered Chicken Consumme with ricotta (luckily my allergy is mild and husband who is severly allergic wasn't at table to eat--- yes, I know consumme is supposed to be clear, but with riccotta and something else listed, I wasn't sure if Chef blended it to make it creamy and took 3 bites before I could work out why it tasted different)--- they were only 'mildly' concerned, though they did send our food to the room to eat after i had recovered from the medicine to counteract the allergic reaction 9)Listing events in the compass only to have the shops say they weren't scheduled or didn't know they were scheduled 10)The food was mediocre at best but most of the time was horrid... even the desserts were horrible (except 1 night in MDR with Baked Alaska). Goat cheese in mashed potatoes??? really? 11)Bring back the smoking on balconies and provide closeable ashtrays on the port side balconies for those who do want to smoke! (mind you, we made a lot of friends on the smoking deck, so it wasn't bad, but a middle of the night or early morning smoke requires a jaunt that makes it a pain...besides, those smoking on the upper decks are throwing butts out to the sea because they don't have enough ashtrays up there and thereby make the policy a joke since the origin was because someone threw a butt out and it landed on another balcony) 12)Entertainment-- this was so so. Some good, some walk out early quality. 13) More variety in movies- 10 days and repeats 14)Better choice of TV channels (not everyone likes CNN) 15)telephones that ring to the right department- called room service and ended up with next cruise only to be told to call another extension 16)Better room service choices.. Carnival has you beat on this one (and that is a sad statement) 17)Better excursion choices 18)Better beds- 10 days on concrete mattress with pole in back and dividing the two twins does not make for happy campers... and that was with a mattress topper 19)tell cabin attendant to not turn water temp to full heat every time they are in room...and to provide more than 2 towels when a couple are staying in the room --- some women have long hair and need 2 towels! 20)Disembarking was a disaster.... unorganized and the CBP/TSA blamed the ship; the ship blamed the CBP/TSA... the guest suffered standing in a queue for 1.5 hours missing car services, flights and incurring massive frustrations... So, don't tell guest on board when they ask that it is a breeze and not to bother with Express when they ask in advance.... I would have rather have struggled with our 4 rolling bags and gotten off early than go through that disaster again.

Disappointed in ship/RCCL- but had a great time meeting people/making friends

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by rncando

I'll start with the good:

6)Photography team were fab

Now for the disappointments:

7)Putting us at table for 12 when we requested table for 2

12)Entertainment-- this was so so. Some good, some walk out early quality.

13) More variety in movies- 10 days and repeats

14)Better choice of TV channels (not everyone likes CNN)

17)Better excursion choices

rncando’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas price drops

The cabin was average. The carpet was a bit tired and the curtains are fraying. The Bed was HORRID. The shower was amazing, though (when not being turned to full hot by cabin staff - learned after day 3 to check this first and and presume it was set how I left it) as doors close (no curtain to stick to you) and water pressure great.
  Serenade of the Seas Deck Plans

• Island Tour
    Sean Beazer was amazing with his communications for our private tour before arriving and met us the morning we docked along with the driver, Hudson (aka Big guy). We had the most fabulous day and felt like a friend was driving us around to see this wonderful island. The price was very reasonable for a private tour and I would highly recommend Scenic to anyone (those who took them in a group said great things as well... we went private as I had specific places of personal interest to see not on a normal tour path)
    View All 164 Island Tour Reviews
  • Emerald Pool
    Levi is great to book with, but the guide we had was aweful!!! I feel bad for saying this, as our tour really should not have technically gone with only 2 people, but Levi made it happen by adding another couple... however the driver who called himself "sexy" (I am not kidding that was what he said his nickname was) would stop at every flippin flower and banana plant to show us the virus attacking them (and I LOVE flowers but this was too much)... then he would drive off before we could get a photo. It was 5 hours of stop/start on meaningless things then hurry up when we were at the places we were meant to see... But please note that others who took a Tour with Levi himself and did not have a specific place they wanted to see of personal interest absolutely raved about their tour.... so it is not a indication of Bumping Tours but rather the driver we had.
    View All 41 Emerald Pool Reviews
  • Trafalgar Falls
    View All 50 Trafalgar Falls Reviews
  • Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    Very efficient embarkation
    View All 1,939 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    VIP Transfer to Reggae beach (beach next to Cockleshell) with stop at Atlantic/Carribean Sea divide. Great price and beach
  • St. Maarten
    Taxi from Orient to Maho - 30.00 Driver agreed to come back at set time and was there waiting for us to drive back to Philipsburg (20.00)
    View All 13,326 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    Taxi to Orient first thing - great experience
  • Tortola
    Excursion cancelled evening before- we walked around and did a little shopping. Very little to do on this island.
    View All 1,389 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews