• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2016
Cabin: Family Suite
My secret knitty spot on the window ledge behind the Garden Cafe. Far back
Our Halloween costume contest prize - plus a bottle of wine!
Changes to the entrance to Le Bistro including the move of the entire resta
Le Bistro is now where La Cuccina was.

First, a shout out to the excellent staff of NCL Dawn: Rowena, Edgar, Rocky, Romel, Loey, Maria, Sarath, Darpan, Ros h ith, Win, Ray and all the other staff who remain unnamed because I didn’t get all their names. They work so hard for months before getting any time off. One crew member’s baby was born the last day at sea and was leaving to return home when we got to port. Yay! He gets to go home. Boo he missed the birth. That made me so sad.

We are five sisters. This was our fourth cruise on NCL. We usually do a trip every two years but at the time we booked last year’s cruise this one came available at a great price so we broke our two year plan to do a back to back. So glad we did!

We are all Platinum level cruisers and we got the ultimate dining package, on board service charges paid for two (which we shared equally) and on board credits when we booked the cruise.

Family Suite

Cabin SJ

Spacious in the daytime. Cramped for five adults when all the beds are done up in the evening, but do-able IF everyone agrees to put their stuff away in all the storage space and stash luggage under the bed. We utilized the king sized bed, the pull out sofa, the Murphy bed and a roll-away bed that we requested in advance. The room was always stocked with coffee, tea, towels and afternoon snacks.

Port Reviews

Boston

The sisters and I grew up in Boston so our opinion is biased. ;-) Stayed at one sister's house for 2 nights before embarkation. She is a wonderful hostess.

Aruba

TDH (too damn hot). Got off the ship. Looked around. Sweated too much. Returned to the ship. No regrets. I did get a Coke and downed it in seconds before getting back on board. Best. Coke. Ever.

Ocho Rios

Didn't get off the ship. I personally had a bad experience last year and had made the decision long ago not to get off there. I do not like feeling like shark bait while the shark is laughing in my face and saying "don't worry. You're on va-ca-tion!" all while ripping me off. The rest of the sisters made the same decision. No regrets.

New Orleans

Stayed at The Drury on Poydras Street overnight before flying out. Hotel: clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Food: superb. People: Fascinating. Architecture: yes, please! The weather was lovely, which made walking around all the more pleasant. I think it's impossible to have a bad time in NOLA (barring getting ripped off or something equally unpleasant).

8 Helpful Votes