3. Legend of the Seas
Whilst we enjoyed the cruise - new places - new people and warm (too hot) lol weather, many aspects were disappointing. I would suggest mainly due to bad management. This was our first cruise with RCI and from what non whingers had suggested previously had high hopes. Day 1 - missed out on lunch as we were advised that we would not be boarded until 5pm so rather than sit for an anticipated 3 hours in the terminal changed our transfer. from 1.30 to 3pm. When we got there the terminal was all but deserted as everyone who ignored the timings were just boarded when they got there!! Quote RCI "Beverage & Wine Packages: It is not truly a vacation until you have a fruity drink with a tiny paper umbrella in your hand. Start enjoying your vacation with a refreshing beverage the moment you get onboard by reserving a beverage package." On route to a bar we passed the beverage package sales person and just asked what I thought would be a simple question and really didnt get the answer I expected. Me " is there a list anywhere of what drinks we can have on this package - which wines and what other drinks/coffees. RCI Drinks package specialist " That package is no longer valid for wine, beer it is now only a soft drinks package" 40 minute wait at customer services who just said the advice was incorrect and yes we could have wine and beer Oddly? they didnt ask who had given the "Soft drinks only" line my feeling is that the whole thing was engineered by RCI - They had told the drinks package sellers to say what they said. The bar "menu" in anchors aweigh had 3 intriguing cider type drinks unfortunately bar staff had not heard of them? Dinner Romeo & Juliet - First night dinner was terrible food and service (Other reviewers have said that food was good and it was brought in containers from the US.) In this case many containers were left in the dock in hong kong and at question time it was admitted that the beef was not very good as it was from China. Variety and quality of food in R & J was poor compared to other MDRs. Fish referred to in the menu was always "not available" and was substituted by another. Service was variable - one night took 2.5 hours we were not offered bread and plates were removed one at a time and taken to the station. A few days into the cruise we eventually found a table with delightful, efficient, friendly and entertaining waiter and assistant, (Tu and Joy Lish) so we just turned up there every night. Table for 10 usually only 8 of us and our team made sure we were never late for a show. This was the only table we used where between courses the crumbs were removed with a knife Talking of the shows - these were poor productions by the rcci singers and dancers compared to others we have seen. Some of the "brought in" acts were good 3? very good and one was dire. Not sure about the centrum as a venue not enough seating or standing room for that matter and if lucky enough to get a seat couldnt see much that was going on. Day 2 - (no I am not doing a day by day whinge) Went to the first lecture on Chinese art we gave up after 20 minutes of the presentation system not working or the presenter not being able to operate it and didnt bother with the rest after that. This was followed up in the afternoon by a "Shore Excursions information talk Ports of call in asia. " On other cruises we have found these very useful - details and pictures of what you will see on excursions and what to do in port if you are not on an excursion. This was sadly lacking as the talk was delivered in very poor English and was simply read out from the description on the Shore excursion sales info. Fairly clear the presenter had not actually been to any of the places. Also on other cruises we were given small maps with directions and main places of interest the day befor the port so you could plan a route. ( if only to the nearest bar) Although expensive we enjoyed the classic excursion to Manilla guide was very informative and English very good. Excursion to the underground river. - One mad dash there and back- guide was useless gave no information or commentary (unlike others) gave one answer to a question from the people in the front seat and didnt even bother telling it to anyone else. Pointed us to the boat waiting area - didnt accompany us. On to the hotel for lunch pointed out the dining area and left. The boatman was very good had his own commentary additional to the electronic one. I will say nothing about the poor tendering arrangements as this may or may not have been controllable however the system for issuing the van/ coach tickets seemed rather complicated- this was made worse by the dispatcher not being able to pronounce sticker and ticket with sufficient clarity to distinguish the difference. Other problem areas - we enjoy quizzes and whilst there were many the team was not at all organised. The questions were not properly prepared in advance at least twice we had the same questions, and on 2 others the printing was incorrect. On sea days the schooner bar is too small to accommodate quizzes and the venues kept changing after people had complained. We know its meant to be fun but even so, well organised fun is better. The schooner bar and centrum were also used for crafting and dancing and participation games but both were far too small. Last and least : Future Cruise team - make an appointment? anyway I noticed that no-one was waiting and it looked like they were finishing so I hung about to ask a question to see if I wanted to make an appointment. Next appointment came in and I asked if they minded me jumping in front of them to ask my question and it was not a problem. Future Cruises however seemed taken aback at such an idea, but I asked my question anyway. Did they have any details of the cruise to Barcelona on Lots at the end of its days in Australasia. The answer came back that they were taking no passengers on that cruise. ( I wear hearing aids in both ears and bearing in mind that the answer was delivered in a very heavy chinese accent I rephrased the question in case I had misheard. Something like - so the ship is sailing back to Barcelona without any passengers? The second reply simply confirmed the first so I just gave up. Thinking about it perhaps they meant that whilst it was a future cruise that would have passengers and it was within the onboard future cruise offer period this was something else that RCCI were not going to honour. As the ship has been sold I cant see RCCL taking much note of anything regarding the vessel but there was nothing wrong with the vessel or the crew but the lack of organisation and supervision of the crew (75% new to the ship I understand) meant a lot of people were less than pleased with the overall cruise.experience.

Poorly organised training ship?

Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by Aulanis

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Interior Stateroom

Quote RCI

"Beverage & Wine Packages:

Day 2 - (no I am not doing a day by day whinge)

Aulanis’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas price drops

Interior Stateroom
Cabin Q 2035
Cabin was fine and was as expected. Shower area a bit small but ok for us slim folk. Near but not too near stairs/lifts Cabin attendant very good greeted us by name whenever we saw him.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins