3. Regal Princess
Embarkation While I could’ve taken the Elite line, it snaked around the hall, while the “regular” line was very quick. No brainer. Unfortunately, after we got our cruise cards, it took a long time to get upstairs to the ship. Cabins We took a mini-suite, which was a great idea. The cabin is significantly larger than a balcony cabin (though the balcony was still microscopic). We enjoyed having 2 TVs and a large desk. Also, having a bathtub gave more space to take a shower. There was some problems with hot water in the cabin. Once you got it, you couldn’t turn it off. Our cabin steward was attentive, but as has happened once before, upon arrival we got a message that our free Elite laundry might take up to 72 hours to get back. Of course we told him that wasn’t acceptable and he did to his best to get it back to us faster. Public Rooms The public rooms on the ship are lovely. The theatre is large, the dining rooms spacious; though the Allegro (fixed dining room) is still hard to access. I also find the ceilings on Princess dining rooms to be lower than those on other ships. The outdoor Halloween was a lot of fun! As had been mentioned many times, the lack of central stairs causes the elevators to usually be crowded. In addition, in the center court, there are 2 banks of elevators (two with the glass wall, four without). The problem is that most people (me included!) pressed call buttons on both sides. Unfortunately, they were synced. This caused to open on nearly every floor whether anyone was there was or not. The casino may be the most claustrophobic I’d ever seen. While wasn’t particularly small, things were on top of each other. Also, it had to be the LOUDEST casino I’d ever been in. Services The purser’s desk was very helpful for routine items. I particularly impressed with the cruise staff on this ship. When I asked the cruise director on the penultimate night why we didn’t have stargazing, he got on the phone and arranged it for the last night even though it wasn’t planned. The Internet café manager gave me credit for lost time, but also asked that I either use my laptop in a public room or keep my cabin door open. I didn’t like either option, so I took #2, which, to say the least was embarrassing and ended any privacy. However, as I needed to get online for work daily, it was the best way to get a stable signal. Entertainment As I said, the cruise staff was great fun. We played trivia contests several times daily and each member had a great attitude. For evening entertainment, I only attended the production shows. Fiera had no theme and the music flowed with no relation to any (lack of) story. Bravo was a better show, with some actual opera and musical theatre. One major problem on this ship was the fact the late show started at 10pm. Princess spends a fortune on their shows. Why can't get a semblance of a story to them? Those of us in late seating usually didn’t leave the dining room until near that time and then often couldn’t find seats in the theatre. Gym/Exercise Kudos for having a dedicated running and walking track on this ship. Decent assortment of machines and free weights, but nothing spectacular. Another construction problem is the fact that to get to an outside section of deck, the shortcut was through the gym. Also, unlike other Princess ships, gym guests don’t have access to the spa (steam room and sauna), which is located on Deck 5 and has an upcharge. Finally, I took a yoga class, which wasn’t what I expected. While the instructor said his yoga was more “international” (I’m not sure what that meant), he basically gave a series of commands to do poses, as compared to a more meditational session with the traditional asanas. Port of Call St. Maarten/Martin: We went to Club Orient for some nude sunbathing and swimming, but like most of the cruise, it rained soon after getting there. We didn’t do any shopping in St Maarten (normally we only buy booze in the islands). The prices on board were actually better than on land. Antigua: We got day passes to Sandals Grande Antigua. Well worth it. We snorkeled, swam in their enormous pool, had unlimited drinks (most fun at the swim-up bar) and enjoyed a great lunch of local foods like jerk chicken, escovitch, conch fritters, plantains, etc. Then we headed to their gelateria for some cappuccinos dessert. Bonaire: We booked Compass diving on our own for a ½ day snorkeling trip. Very well organized. Will recognize them in Trip Advisor. Dining The service in the dining was good, not great. The head waiter had an attitude. When leaving one night he asked how much our table enjoyed the cherries jubilee. I explained we never were offered it and he basically told me that I just didn’t remember. The food was average; I ordered fish each night and found it bland at best. Nothing was adventurous or even semi-adventourous. Basic institutional food. One nice touch on Princess is the International Café. Also, I had the coffee card, so I was able to enjoy my cappuccinos and ice cream at the gelateria. I was impressed with the Horizon Court buffet; however, it’s awkward that the Horizon Court Café offered different foods for lunch, which caused people to have to check each one out. Putting the Pastry Shoppe in the middle of the Café made people have to walk there. I think this might be an issue for passengers with mobility problems. We had an excellent meal at the Crowne Grill. The maitre'd was very nice. When we had to wait for our table she brought us wine and limoncello. Disembarkation Fast. We left the disembarkation lounge about 15 minutes before our color was called and got our luggage quickly. The customs/immigration line took about 20 minutes. Recommendations 1. Reconfigure the Internet routers. 2. Hire a 2nd future cruise consultant. There was always a line there. 3. Turn down the volume on the slot machines. 4. Make the 2nd show at night 10:15 or 10:30 5. AND—open that hidden center staircase. We know it’s there!

Average, but relaxing cruise

Gym/Exercise

Port of Call

Disembarkation

Recommendations

1. Reconfigure the Internet routers.

2. Hire a 2nd future cruise consultant. There was always a line there.

3. Turn down the volume on the slot machines.

4. Make the 2nd show at night 10:15 or 10:30

5. AND—open that hidden center staircase. We know it’s there!
drtravel47’s Full Rating Summary