MSC Fantasia Cruise Review

Everything, but everything has to be paid for.

MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by J.Thomas

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

I chose this cruise because I had previously sailed on the OPERA on her maiden voyage, that was wonderful.

I had expected this cruise to match that one. I was wrong. Everything, but everything had to be paid for, right down to water on the table for dinner. Every other cruise I have done (19 up to now) had supplied iced water in a jug at dinner. I am not a wine drinker and so opted for water with my evening meal. To my amazement at the end of the meal I was asked for my card so they could charge me for the water. I then said that on the next night I would bring my own and was told that it wasn't allowed. I brought my own anyway and hid the bottle under the table. The staff were excellent, helpful and friendly, it's obviously a company policy. At the end of the dinner we weren't even offered coffee to round the meal off another first.

The drinks packages were very, very pricey and not worth the cost.

At breakfast, in the "Red Velvet lounge" I opted for the bacon, scrambled eggs and beans for breakfast, all three were cold, and I mean cold, not warm, not cool, COLD. I helped myself to other food, the waiter noticed the first plate and asked what the problem was, I told him and he went away and came back with a supervisor, after relaying the problem to him he apologised, mumbling something about something in the kitchen was not working properly and they were waiting for spare parts. The same thing happened the next day, the supervisor said to see him at lunchtime and he would ensure we got hot food, we weren't on the ship at lunch and so ate ashore.

The evening shows were not bad but very short, some shows were only 20 minutes long due to the presenter talking about various members of staff (in six languages). Apart from the evening entertainment we saw very little deck activities.

We shared a table at dinner with a British couple and an American couple, they were great, really nice people. The waiters were very friendly, helpful and courteous and could not do too much for us, even though our table was always last to finish.

The ship was nice and clean, the cabin was nice and was cleaned each day. The excursions were exorbitantly pricey so we avoided them and made our own way around on shore.

Having once been on a cruise that had the Nora Virus on board we were amazed to see the lack of hygiene going into and coming out of the dining room. There were no staff ensuring that passengers used the hand gel and in fact most of the time the hand gel dispensers were empty.

I would not cruise on this ship again simply because of the high prices, the bad food and the absence of water at dinner.

J.Thomas's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 8171

The cabin was okay, there were various stains on stools and the carpet. The TV was awful to have to tune every time you wanted it on.

J.Thomas