Marella Discovery Cruise Review

First ever cruise and first visit to the Caribbean

Marella Discovery Cruise Review by Motorhomeman

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: the Caribbean

We chose this, our first ever cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and our first visit to the Caribbean. We met the ship at Palma Mallorca, ferried by coach from the airport. On arrival we could tell who had sailed with Thomson before because Thomson staff were hugging returning guests whom they had obviously seen previously. This left us (cruise virgins) a little lost as to the procedure on embarkation. Needless to say we got it wrong. We did not know we had to register our debit or credit card with staff and have our photograph taken in order to obtain an ID card to be used onboard so just went through security x rays etc of our bags. Also not knowing travel irons are not permitted on board, we had ours confiscated like we were little children with no explanation as to how it would be returned to us.

Then on trying to board the ship we were told we needed an ID card so had to backtrack to gain thee and once again had to go through security. I realise the following was not Thompson's fault but at present we are living in our motorhome so due to lack of space, all our clothes were washed but we intended to iron them as we needed them on board. But now with no iron that was impossible. After finding our cabin we proceeded to reception to enquire about the ironing situation. A great number of passengers were already queueing at reception with numerous problems. When we asked what could be done we were informed some Thomson ships have an ironing area for passengers but Discovery does not and we were given a price list to have items ironed. I totaled this up to almost £60 and informed reception I would not pay it and left. Later that evening as we chatted with another couple, they had done the same but remonstrated so much that housekeeping had ironed their clothing for free. I found an english senior staff member ( of which there are very few) explained what I had been told and offered us the same, so the outcome if somewhat stressful was dealt with.

Our cabin came with balcony and was spacious and reasonably clean, although I had to wipe the overhead aircon ducts with a baby wipe as they were filthy and when we moved the settee copious amount of dust and debris were behind it so we also cleaned that. Our cabin steward was extremely helpful in many ways. In fact all but 2 member of staff wer always helpful and well mannered throughout our cruise. The food in all the restaurants was very good and he ship was always kept very clean.

The main downfall of the ship was the passengers. A large number were extremely rude not only to staff but fellow passengers as well. It is a pity passengers cannot be vetted before they book. Manners cost nothing but sadly many were lacking them.

We had 6 days at sea which I would not recommend. It becomes very boring even though there are activities available, I felt some had more thought in them than others, simply to pass the time.

Sunbeds were like gold dust. We ourselves are not sun worshippers but to be truthful I hardly ever saw a free one on all the cruise. It is stated that tanning timed vouchers were to be used to stop passengers simply covering a sunbed with their towel, simply to use it if they felt like it. These tanning time vouchers were never used and nobody monitored this as it was stated in the daily info sheets.

Unfortunately I had to visit sick bay due to an infection I picked up and had to have 3 days treatment. And I can honestly say the doctor and staff were fantastic. They did all they could for me and even contacted my insurers and sorted out the claim and only charged my on board card with the £75 excess I had to pay. All that hassle was sorted out for me.

Is cruising for us ? No, but nothing to do with the ship and the staff, simply arrogant and ignorant passengers. It is a beautiful ship.

One last thing is the aircon is the cabins cannot be turned off.

Shore excursions are pricey for what you get.

Motorhomeman's Full Rating Summary