3. Carnival Vista
A little over a year ago we discovered the plans for the Carnival Vista's transatlantic cruise embarking from Barcelona. We chose this cruise for a variety of reasons, which included a chance to be on a brand new ship, a chance to go to Barcelona for a few days, and for the rebates offers we received from our travel company at Cruises.com. All of these together were our reasons for taking this particular cruise. We are long time Carnival cruisers, we are Platinum level almost at Diamond and have sailed on 7 different Carnival ships, to Alaska, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. We have enjoyed our experiences on the Spirit Class ships, both for size and decor, so we really were a little unsure of what to expect on this vessel, because the decor looked to be so different and because of the size/number of people that would be on the ship. Embarkation in Barcelona was somewhat unorganized and certainly we did not receive any priority boarding as a Platinum member should have. However it was tolerable and once on the ship we were able to go right to our room and deposit our luggage. The decor of the ship is certainly different than any other however I loved it. The Promenade deck was especially inviting featuring many places on the outside areas to rest and relax, We loved that many of the interior shops and bars also had an outside access on the deck, certainly unique compared to other ships we have been on. We had an aft balcony room cabin 6460, and Paul and his helper were our room stewards, both were very friendly and helpful, our every need was anticipated and filled. Our balcony patio area overlooked the Havana Cabins -only one floor below. I will make a comment here about those cabins, I know that they cost more than a regular cabin and in the pictures look to be lovely, however I am very happy now that we did not get one of them. From our balcony we could look directly down and watch anyone on their patio, in addition the folks in those rooms did not have any dividers between their patios on either the left of right sides and the fronts of their balcony were open walking area for others on that deck getting to "daytime pool area" The other note about these rooms is that they are backed up to the Havana Bar, which is a lovely bar area featuring Latin music nightly, We were able to block out the noise of the music as it played on into the late night, but those right on the same level and those in the back of the ship directly above the bar could not. Because of what we were able to see about these Havana Rooms, we would never consider one of these for any future Vista Cruise. Husband and I ate, as always our meals in the Lido restaurant, we have found over several cruises that the menu on the Lido is basically the same as in the Restaurant. Food was good but not on a par with some of our other cruises, also we found that the offering was the same a few nights in a row, as in they seemed to be using up leftovers. Guy's burgers and the seafood shack were great alternatives and at lunch the 5th floor BBQ was awesome. There was a variety of entertainment on the ship, from music venues to comedy clubs to variety shows in the Liquid Lounge. The comedy was weak and just not funny, we tried a few times and decided to forego any others. The shows were spectacular. However the Liquid Lounge is positively the worse place in the world to view any type of show. Whoever designed this venue should be fired. Big columns block the view. there is a lack of stadium seating and protection panels on the second floor balcony additionally obstruct the view. This was a big negative for us. The pools areas were lovely, there were only very few kids on the ship so they were basically "adult only" on this particular cruise, I went to the adult serenity area, but was not impressed for myself as when I sit in the sun I want access to the pool to cool off. I wish the pools had been heated, we had some chilly days when I thought it should have been turned on. We only booked one excursion through Carnival for this cruise and it was in Gibraltor, Carnival did a nice job for our tour. We found the Azores to be lackluster, and in Bermuda we found our own way around as we have been there many times before and knew where to go and what to do. All in all we enjoyed our trip on this ship and we are happy we had this experience, however, being long time Carnival travelers, we will probably not go on this ship again but will return to our smaller Spirit class ships, a better choice for Seniors. I want to give special praise to Matt the Cruise Director, he was the best I have encountered, he actually enjoys his job and displays a wonderful sense of humor all day long.

1st time on such a large ship

marechristine’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8G 6460
Cabin was lovely, plenty of storage, spotlessly clean and more than enough storage
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins