3. Carnival Splendor
We have sailed Carnival a few times and we wanted to try Splendor for her thermal suite/t-pool. I am happy to say that we completely enjoyed the Thermal Suite in the spa - temperature was probably a little too warm for me, but my husband loved the soothing heat. This was the highlight of our trip. We noticed, overall, things have "gone downhill" from what we experienced on our last Carnival Cruises: - The meat/steak we received were mostly lower quality (either fatty or tough/chewy). - Beverages were awful - either all syrup or all water. There seemed to be no mix of water with the syrup for the lemonade or iced tea. This was the first ship I could not drink anything but bottled water (the iced tea and lemonade were pure syrup). This is mostly that the machines needed maintenance and needed to be working properly. - Many times the ice machine did not work at all or gave way too much ice at one time and made a mess (again, a maintenance issue). - Some foods were completely laden with salt. I cannot eat huge amounts of salt and actually had to send food back. I felt bad because I don't like to waste food. Was anyone tasting how much salt they were putting in the food? - Ice cream was great when it was available and in the machines. Many times the machines were empty and it was messy from people dropping ice cream everywhere. The staff couldn't seem to keep up with the ice cream demand. - Pizza and burgers were quite good, but there were always extremely long lines for them. Something needs to be done to alleviate the lines for these items so everyone can get a burger or slice of pizza without a long wait. When I did stand in line for a slice of pizza, one person in front of me ordered 5 pizzas! WOW! No wonder there were long lines! - I usually love the sandwiches at the deli, but my Reuben could not be eaten - it was all fatty meat. I was completely disappointed as I ate my cheese and saurkraut sandwich. I had a tuna sandwich another day and it was very good. - Entertainment was good, but we had the same entertainers every night. It was just different comedy and musical shows every night with the same entertainers. - No more chocolates (mints) on the pillow at night, but we still received the towel animals. - Service was good, but I can't say it was outstanding. Staff seemed to be stretched too thin and overworked. I did not meet our cabin steward until the 3rd day and never saw him in the hallways like we have on other cruises. - There was a lack of ripe fruit on this ship. Buffet had only melon and apples/bananas and on rare occasion, I found pineapple. The melon wasn't ripe for the entire cruise. I love pineapple and grapes and berries, but they were extremely difficult to find. I ordered a fruit plate from room service and got mostly unripe melon with 1 grape and 1 strawberry. I usually love fruit on a cruise...another disappointment. - Dining room needs to be open for breakfast until 10:00 a.m. and not close at 9:00-9:30. We felt that overall, things have gone down from our last cruise. We still had a nice time and service was good, but it wasn't spectacular. This was also the first cruise where food and beverages were undrinkable/inedible for me and it was mostly due to needed machine maintenance. This will not stop us from cruising, but we may not cruise with Carnival for a while just to see if it is the same across all the cruiselines. Disembarkation was the worst ever. We had luggage tags that were supposed to be called at 9:15 a.m. and our number wasn't called until 10:45 a.m. At least we got to sit and wait in a public lounge (instead of standing) for 1.5 hours, but it was way too long. We missed our 10:00 a.m. shuttle and had to wait another hour to get picked up. We did not leave the cruiseport until Noon. It was awful. Overall, the cruise was very inexpensive, so I can say we got what we paid for.

Noticeable Decrease of Quality on Carnival Splendor

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Trvlr37

Overall, the cruise was very inexpensive, so I can say we got what we paid for.
Trvlr37’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8A
Cabin was comfortable and roomy. Some noise in the hallways, but it did not bother us.
Upper Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins