3. Nieuw Amsterdam
We went with another couple (dear friends) who had never cruised before. I made all of the arrangements, and therefore, felt somewhat responsible for everything surrounding this Panama Canal cruise. The embarkation process, the friendliness of the staff, and the condition of the ship was exceptional. That's where it stopped! I think the entire experience was that of "cheapskate". 1. They didn't have enough dining room staff to service the number of guests. One night, our dining experience took 3 hours! 2. The food quality was so-so. 3. The offerings at the buffet was the same every day, and very limited. One line on both port and starboard sides. 4. The entertainment was average. About half the time, the shows were with the "singers and dancers" of the staff. How many ways can you make a ham sandwich? I must say, the entertainers brought on board were quite good. 5. There was not enough time in the ports of Cabo San Lucas and Cartegena to enjoy ourselves. 6. The major cheapskate was offering a Mexican Fiesta on the fantail to watch the sunset. They piped in Gypsy Kings music (old and from Spain) over the loud speakers,, when for a few pesos, could have tendered a Mariachi band in to do it right. 7. Getting tired...I could go on and on, however, I think you get the idea.

Compared to other cruise lines we have sailed with, VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by olhacker

2. The food quality was so-so.

7. Getting tired...I could go on and on, however, I think you get the idea.
olhacker’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Adequate, and an exceptional attendant.
  Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans