3. Silver Shadow
After giving up on Crystal due to their diminution of services on board and the frenetic pace of the main dining room, we decided on Silversea. What a difference! Crystal still has the best cream soups at sea and the best enrichment speakers and lecturers, but Silversea's service is the best bar none. I agree with other cruise critics that Shadow is a little worn and shabby, but that will be fixed at the turn of the year when she goes in for refurb in Singapore. We noted how friendly and accommodating the staff are on board. They can take the time to chat and get to know you. Even though a waiter from the Philippines named Randy served us only once, he sort of adopted us and went out of his way to greet and chat whenever we were close to his station or we ran into him in the buffet. He gave my wife a big hug on her birthday All the staff were friendly and outgoing. Due to its small passenger load and various dining venues this ship is ideal for luxury cruising. In the window radiating space where crystal has four tables for two, Silversea has only three. At times when a table for two was not available we were seated at a table for four, just the two of us. This was true in all dining areas. One morning we saw a single woman on board sitting at a table for six all by herself. They will accommodate you. A table for two is large enough to accommodate a tray with oil and balsamic, salt/pepper mills, bread basket, bread plate, six glasses, two large platters, a vase, and a bottle of wine. One thing on Silversea, they quite often leave the bottle on the table. Shortly after we left Vancouver, the captain used the thrusters to do a 360 degree turn so we could see the countryside outside the harbor. It was a full moon that evening and it shone on the water later on. I got great pictures of the moon reflected on the water. The La Terazzo Restaurant is the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast has ham and bacon that is flavorful, unlike Crystal where it is tasteless. Due to a rather large Japanese passenger load there were ample delicacies to satisfy their palates. One thing I love, but it distresses my wife, is pickled herring. They had three types and I was happy. Seating at the buffet is a check-in and get a table type arrangement. You do not have to hunt for a table holding a plate full of food. Lunch was equally extensive, with three kinds of lettuce and ample fixings. There was usually one special entree each day with other items typically every day. On quite a few days, lunch in the main had special themes and cooking stations set up in the center of the room. Many days also had special hot desserts and we enjoyed peach flambe, cherries jubilee, some sort of pear concoction and cold pavlova. Afternoon tea and not a tea bag in sight. It is all tea leaves along with an hour glass to set the steep time. It has the usual finger sandwiches and small desserts with a piano accompaniment. Ping pong is indoors and it is nice to play without gale force winds. My wife beats me handily, but I sometimes manage to win a game here and there. They have several drink making demos and my wife was the recipient of two of the drinks featured. Everybody else gets a small one or two ounce taste. They were a lot of fun along with the cooking demonstration by the head chef. An Italian cruise line with a French head chef. He was very informative and humorous. In French cooking, "you can never have too much butter". He used almost a whole kilo on the smashed potatoes. His advice on how to clean the raw salmon from the cutting board without using water, "flip it over". Before we left home I counted out our prescription pills and made a huge error when my wife told me to take 35 days of her heart medication. I forgot that it is two pills per day. We went to the ship's clinic and the nurse was extremely helpful in that she had the medication my wife needed, only in 100 mg form. She took the time to quarter the pills to get down to 25 mg dosage. I think because of the way my wife wrote out the prescription pill description using medical terminology for dosage etc, she recognized that my wife was a nurse. I think it was professional courtesy that we did not get charged for the visit or for the pills. The daily Silversea Chronicle is very well done with a full page color photo of your current port on the cover. It lists all the activities for the day as well as where all the Silversea ships are on that day. We thoroughly enjoyed our first Silversea cruise. It definitely has six star service. We hope to sail with them again.

Six Star All the Way

Silver Shadow Cruise Review by Canal Street sailor

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite

One thing on Silversea, they quite often leave the bottle on the table.

Canal Street sailor’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Shadow price drops

Vista Suite
Cabin VI 428
The first thing we noticed is that the cabin is much larger than we were used to on Crystal.
It has a bathroom with separate shower and tub along with two sinks. There is a walk- in closet with ample hanging space and a chest of drawers. The room has a curtain that separates the sleeping area from the seating area. Each Silversea cabin has its own room attendant and butler in tails. Jomit, our Indian butler was always available, friendly and accommodating. He really looked out for us. There was always fresh OJ and cranberry juice in the fridge along with sodas and beers etc. Room service breakfast was on time with Jomit serving us. There is a table extender in the closet they use to make an oval coffee table into a dining table. Each evening there were chocolates on the pillow. Crystal stopped that service two cruises ago when the company was sold to a Chinese conglomerate. On several occasions we had chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us after dinner. After one of our excursions got us back after the dining venues were closed for lunch, we ordered the room service four cheese pizza and it was superb. The room service menu has a filet mignon entree that you can also order in the main dining room. We did so one night and it was as good or better than that in the Peech Hotel in Jo'burg. Crystal relies on a chewy sirloin. During a mid-cruise storm when the dining areas were empty due to the rocking and rolling, Jomit got us room service food in less than 20 minutes. When we crossed the Intl Date Line, my wife lost her birthday on the 25th. Pre-cruise literature stated that the 24th would be lost. Jomit and Vincent made up for it by decorating our room with balloons, a large wreath on the bed and a card from the captain. After dinner that night we returned to the room and the divider curtain was drawn. When I opened the curtain there was a laser show, more balloons, a wall poster wishing a happy birthday and a cake shaped like a ship with chocolate sails on the tea light decorated table. We were really impressed by all of their efforts to make us feel at home on their ship.
Deck 7 Suite Cabins