3. Carnival Vista
This was the first Transatlantic cruise for my husband and I, and we were not disappointed. We spent 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise; what a fantastic city to explore. The highlight there was definitely La Sagrada Familia -- a church still being built, unlike any other. We signed up for 10:30 embarkation, using the new staggered embarkation system. It doesn't seem to have done much good. We still waited in line for over an hour! Of course, we are only gold members; the platinum and diamonds were moving quicker. The ship was wonderful. With a total of 8 1/2 sea days, I was a little worried about getting bored. That was never a problem. I had been reading all about the ship for the 9 months prior to our sailing, so I had so many things I wanted to check out and do, In a nutshell, the food in the MDR was great (we had early dining). We loved our waiters, and we got to really enjoy our table-mates. My only complaint here was our table. We were at #600 on deck 4 of the Horizons dining room. It was right behind a wall seperating us from the desk, and right in front of an opaque, decorative wall of wine bottles. We all remarked how we felt isolated from the rest of the dining room. We couldn't even see other diners! We loved our cabin, a balcony, #8265. Plenty of room and our cabin steward, Mangcu from Bali, was delightful. We had a problem the second day with wet carpeting; I think the A/C was leaking. Someone came and fixed it right away and no further problems. And Mangu did follow up and ask if we were having any more problems with it. We enjoyed most of the shows, except maybe the comedians. They just weren't our cup of tea. We did enjoy the magicians and the hypnotist. The production shows were great, but the Liquid Lounge was very disappointing: There are several large pillars throughout the seating areas which obstruct the views in many, many seats. We always sat on the upper floor; the people on the lower floor were all on an even level, so you couldn't see over the head in front of you, if you were lucky enough not to have a pillar in your way! We loved the Imax theater, and were able to see "Sully" and "inferno" and really enjoyed those. We also enjoyed the Dive In movies, except maybe the day it rained! We did have a couple of days of rough seas, and though we were never sick, it was a little scary for me, but only the first night; when I saw in the daylight that the waves were not as violent as they sounded, I was fine. As I read beforehand, for the 4,000 guests on board, it never really felt crowded. We could always find a little nook to hunker down in and play a few games or read -- our preferred ways to relax. We took a ship excursion in each port, and on the whole were very pleased with those. We did have a problem with our tour leader in Gibraltar, Elena. On the bus she would not use the mike, even after some of us told her we could not hear. And when we got off the bus to tour the cave and the Siege Tunnels, she said to go inside and she would meet us there, and she never did. So we did not get the narration we had hoped for. Other groups said their guides gave them all sorts of information, which we just never got; that was disappointing. But our guides in Porta del Gada (Sandy I think), and Bermuda (Jevon Thomas) were fantastic. I even told Jevon he should think about teaching. He is very organized and articulate and enthusiastic about imparting his knowledge to visitors! I had wanted to try all the lunch-time venues (that didn't cost extra), and we were able to do all but one (the Mongolian Wok). All were good. We loved the Salad Creations on the 15th deck, but there was never anywhere to sit at a table up there; we had to balance our bowls on our laps, and that got to be a little tricky. Disembarkation was simple for us; we had no plane to catch; someone was meeting us in NYC. But I guess there was a long delay before the first group of people was let off the ship; something to do with the ship clearing customs, I think. In summary, we are glad we took this cruise, and we would definitely do it again.

Wonderfully Relaxing!