3. Norwegian Jewel
While I have cruised with NCL in the past, I have found them to be my go-to cruise line. Last year I traveled with Royal and while I found the ship (Navigator of the Seas) to be amazing in many ways, I felt they lacked on their food. So, with that I decided to travel with NCL again and as expected it was a great time. The food was great and the service was awesome. I traveled with my wife, we are young (24 Years Old) and we enjoyed our trip. One thing we felt the ship lacked was entertainment. Where there was a lot to do, a lot of the activities came with a small fee. They had evening shows with were free and very much enjoyable, but during the day the activities were lacking we felt. The ports were great we enjoyed Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Overall they were all great. Cabo's, was extremely hot and the excursions were eh... We decided not to book one because none sounded super exciting. After we left the port many cruisers were talking about the disappointment with Cabo's and the excursions they paid for. Me and my wife just walked around the port, enjoyed some good food and drinks and then headed back to the ship. Puerto Vallarta was beautiful in all the words. We booked the Outdoor adventure which included a mule ride up a beautiful canyon, once we got to the top we did a variety of ziplines, repelling, and water slides back to the bottom of the canyon. If you can I recommend this excursion highly. It was probably the best excursion I have ever been on in all my cruises. In Mazatlan we enjoyed shrimp fest where we had a variety of fresh caught shrimp served to us with non-stop margaritas and the local beer. We enjoyed this excursion very much as well. It was very relaxing. The first day we boarded the ship we had some rain, no big deal. A few nights in the wind kicked up but My balcony being a Hull blocked the wind and made for a nice evening. The last day coming back to the ship the weather was nice, but the sea was not. Upon leaving Cabos San Lucas we had a day at sea before we arrived back in Los Angeles. The sea was rough from 3AM Saturday morning until Sunday when we arrived in port. The crew told us we were experiencing 8.2ft waves during that time. People were running to garbage cans and bathrooms all over the ship. The pools were closed for the majority of this time because they were like wave pools and to dangerous to swim in. They also were only about half full because most of the water had spilled out of the pools. This was probably the worst day at sea I have ever had on all my cruises. Me and my wife did well but still got nauseous on occasion throughout the day since the ship was rocking back and forth really hard. The crew on the ship put stacks of barf bags on all of the garbage cans for the passengers. Because of the rough seas on the last day (over 24hrs straight of heavy ship rocking) it took me about 5 days to recover back on land. I had severe land sickness as my equilibrium must have been thrown off. Overall a great experience besides the last sea day. I would recommend this trip to friends and family. Most people each have different experiences in the ports, it all depends on what YOU choose to do. Your excursion can make the difference. I wish luck and safety to you all in your travels.

Overall Great Experience

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by dustinnelson15

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony

I wish luck and safety to you all in your travels.
dustinnelson15’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B3 8540
This cabin has a hull balcony which means the view is a little more restrictive than a regular balcony. This was my first time cruising with a balcony and being a hull I found to love it. It blocked wind (a few days there were high winds during this cruise) and rain off the balcony. It was more private than regular balconies and I loved it.

Overall, the room was great, the steward was great. This was a family cabin meaning that there was a door between the cabin next to us. We did not hear anything from our neighbors. There is a door on your side and a separate door on your neighbors side which gives a good sound buffer. We felt it was just as nice as any other stateroom we have stayed in without the cabin sharing doors. However.... We when the ship was in motion the door creaked consistently. We jammed folded paper and whatever else we could find between the door and door frame to minimize the sound. It worked a little bit, but it still creaked.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins