3. Navigator of the Seas
Okay let me start by saying a little bit about myself. I am an 18 year old male from Maryland who just went on the cruise (came back today) with my family, my grandma and my cousins family. It was simply amazing and probably the best vacation I have gone on in my life which is impressive! (My entire family had a blast) Let me review several aspects of the cruise. Arrival: We got to Miami after a 2 hour flight into Fort Lauderdale. When we got off the taxi (a big van since we had so many bags for six people -6 suitcases and 4 hanging bags) there was a guy to take our stuff it was pretty well organized. We arrived at the port of Miami at around 12:30PM which was good because people had started to arrive and it wasn't that crowded. Security was good. check in was a little hectic but is to be expected. Upon seeing the ship we were all in awe by the size and elegance of it. Bags take a while to get but if you just started to relax right away it would be good. Stateroom: Sure, the rooms are small but what do you need a huge room for when you are only really in the room to sleep. I would say on average each day between the time that I woke up until the time I went to bed I was in the room for about 1-2 hours a day. That is not much so the size didn't matter. My brother and I shared the room and it was fine size. Having a balcony was nice but comes at a premium. I wouldn't have wanted an interior stateroom as there was no view. However I think having just a window would have sufficed since it's cheaper, but the balcony was nice to have. We were on deck 7 which was great as it was halfway between the main areas (dining room on 3 and pool on 11 along with stuff in between) and as a result I almost always used the stairs. Our stateroom attendant was as friendly as they come. His name is Patrick and is from Jamaica. He was the best, friendliest person I have ever met in that position (housekeepers at hotels included). He was very helpful with everything and was a pleasure to talk to. I loved his accent as he would greet me with a "hey man and yeah man" in that cool Jamaican accent. We would talk about what I did and stuff and he would give me some suggestions and knew everything about the ship and ports of call. A neat little feature is that all the stateroom attendants each night would make a towel animal and put it in your room when they came to turndown the beds. This was a neat little feature as I came back to my room or to my cousins room each night to see what was waiting for us (at the end they even show you how to make them yourself). A few negatives about the room were with regards to amenities. In the bathroom the toilet paper that they had was atrocious. It was hard and caused my rear to be in pain. For a cruise where guests are paying a lot I would think they could afford to buy better toilet paper than the cheapo no name brand hard stuff. Also they gave you soap and shampoo but not conditioner. Unless the shampoo in the dispenser was a two in one (which I don't think it was). Public rooms: The entire ship was really nice. It was fun to find new things all the time. A neat thing was that on the decks with staterooms there was a theme for the pictures on the walls. Deck 7 was movies and deck 8 was fashion. The royal promenade was neat with the shops and stuff. It was well furnished and a nice ship. Dining: The food was superb. We ate about half of the breakfasts, half of the lunches, and all of the dinners in the main dining room. We were assigned to table 295 in the nutcracker dining room (all ten of us from the family). I liked being with my cousins but was wondering what it would have been like to meet new people. But I hear it can go either way you can meet cool people or grouchy people. The staff that attended to us in the dining room was SIMPLY AMAZING. Our waiter's name was Amirtur from Indonesia. He was a friendly guy and after 2 days remembered all of our names. I still remember the way he would say our names in his accent "Ms. Mary what would you like tonight." The assistant waiter was Nikola from Yugoslavia. He was also very friendly. He remembered my little brothers name right off the bat and would always ask him by name what breads he wanted and water and stuff. My grandma told him he was a good looking guy and i think embarrassed him, but he was really nice. Our head waiter's name was Faruk from Turkey and the first night he came over to our table and was of great help. My mom asked him if shrimp cocktail was on the menu ever and he immediately said he would be willing to get us shrimp cocktails each night if we wanted them. This was a great gesture. He was funny too. Then the bartender who came to our table was a guy from Dominica named Hilton. He was funny and extremely friendly especially with my brothers and cousins. My little brother (10 years old) asked for a drink of cranberry juice and iced tea together and Hilton called it black and tan for him. He would come over and be like "David black and tan man?" All four of them were professional and friendly and we would often talk to them all about anything. I truly miss each and every one of them as well as Patrick. The food was terrific as the menu changed each night and was plentiful. I am glad we didn't go to the specialty restaurants for dinner as there was no need with the great service and food available for free. Why pay? I didn't want to miss a great meal and great service from those guys. The windjammer we went to some days for breakfast and lunch. It was somewhat crowded but lines were never long. Sometimes tables were hard to find but not really. I preferred eating in the dining room in sit down style. Food was pretty good upstairs but definitely better in the dining room. We ordered room service sometimes and with the one time it took over an hour, it was prompt for a quick bite to eat. I don't recommend getting the unlimited soda card for kids because for 42 dollars you would have to get over 30 sodas to make it worthwhile. I probably only drank 10 the entire time at the most. It was nice to be able to have a beer or wine if I wanted to, which was about 3 times. Entertainment: This was terrific primarily the evening shows. There were four comedians each of who were terrific. Billy Garan, "two funny guys" (two brothers), and Troy Thirdgill were hilarious. The fourth wasn't as funny. The ice show was excellent. As was the gentleman's juggler Christian Christov. The cruise director Ken Rush was funny and informative. He was good at keeping the audience entertained and was a fun guy. I went to the Dungeon two times but didn't stay for long as it was a lot of older people in their 30's and 40s who were there. There were some people who were twenties but not so many. The casino was fun but didn't pay well on the slots. I started playing them and lost money. Then went to blackjack and did really well. Was up 55 bucks but then lost it all and 20 more. It was still fun, you just need to quit when you are ahead! This lady playing next to me was up 150 and lost it all like that (I told her she should quit then but she didn't and then lost 90 dollars). It was awfully smoky in the casino though which was not really pleasant. Excursions/ports of call: We went to Nassau on Sunday, St. Thomas on Tuesday, San Juan on Wednesday, and RC's private island Labadee in Haiti on Thursday. In Nassau we went to the beach by the Marriott hotel I believe. It was gorgeous as the water was crystal clear. It was I believe a 4 dollar cab ride to get there per person, but was worth it. (This wasn't an excursion but we did it on our own and there were plenty of other cruise people there too). At St. Thomas we went to another beach which wasn't as nice. 5 dollars a person taxi ride. Snorkeling wasn't great there. We also did some shopping which we found great bargains. At San Juan we went to the El Junque rainforest. This was a little bit of a let down as I was expecting more like the Amazon which it was definitely not. There were lots of trees but no exotic animals or flowers. It was a bus ride tour with three stops which can be a plus or minus. I don't think it was worth 30 dollars a person. Labadee was terrific. It was gorgeous and secluded. They had so many things to do. We went snorkeling and saw some fish (don't expect too many huge ones) and rented these mats to lie on. Also my cousins and I went jet skiing which was fun but expensive 99.00 for two people. Fitness/Recreation: The fitness center was well equipped. Not nearly as good as the gym I go to at home but good enough for on the ship. One area I thought was lacking was the outdoor pool. There were two fairly small pools for everyone on board. Granted there is so much more to do it would have been nice to have a few more pools or bigger ones. Maybe have different themed ones with cool features such as slides and stuff. I didn't get a chance to go on the rock climbing wall but it looked pretty good (I used to do it at camp so I wasn't so anxious to go). Other thoughts: There were so many people of all ages. Plenty of teenagers and kids 16-20. I made several friends. I think all of the teens would surmise that there were many good looking kids of the opposite sex. I met two really cool girls whose screen names I got. The on ship photographers took good pictures but they were really overpriced. They would put them up in the photo gallery where you could view them. However I am guessing that maybe 20% of the photos sold and that's being generous. They were simply too expensive (19.95 for an 8x10, 6.95 for a 5x7). Had they been priced more reasonably I am sure more people would have bought the pictures that they would have made more money. Overall: The vacation was superb. I highly recommend going on the Royal Caribbean especially on this ship. Top notch service, fun experience. The best vacation I have ever been on. DEFINITELY GO ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN!!! We saw some other ships at ports of call. Let me tell you this, Carnival is disgusting looking. I have heard many bad things about it as well. RC has gotten great reviews and now I see why. Why don't you find out for yourself as well.

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean