Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by ymm1969

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony

This cruise was a birthday gift sailing the same day of my birthday. Immediately upon arrival to the port we were told that they were experiencing a computer glitch and were unable to start boarding the passengers in a timely fashion - later we found out that the ship had arrived to port with "unknown" travelers and that the boarding process had been significantly delayed because both US Marine Patrol and Customs were performing an unprecedented sweep of the vessel. The ship finally left the port approximately 2 hours late and in order to arrive to the first and only port of call on time the Captain opted to travel at very high speeds in extremely choppy waters and caused most passengers to get seasick. I was one of those unfortunate passengers that was forced to stay in my state room for several hours.

For my birthday, the same day we sailed, both, my friend and my son (which was traveling abroad) unknowingly and simultaneously purchased a birthday package in my behalf which was suppose to include a bottle of champagne, room decorations and acknowledgement from the wait staff. Neither one of the two birthday packages that were ordered and paid for in full was honored. There were no decorations, no champagne and due to the motion sickness and late departure I was unable to make it to dinner on time. At 9:30 pm ALL the dining rooms and restaurants were closed and my birthday consisted of two under cooked slices of pizza.

Day 2 - We rush to the Windjammer breakfast buffet at approximately 9AM - again, all the food trays were empty, the tables were dirty and the passengers were complaining by the dozen. We decided to go to a small cafe that also served breakfast to find that they were also understaffed and unable to keep up with the food preparation and again all the tables were dirty. We were so hungry that we decided to pick up the table ourselves (several more passengers were doing the same thing) in order to at the very least have a place to sit. Immediately thereafter, we rushed to go rock climbing which closed at noon. We arrived at 11:30 am stood in line behind ONE person and at 11:45 were told "sorry we're closed" - we were appalled that the three staff members saw us standing there patiently waiting our turn and completely ignored our existence until it was time for them to go on break. They have no consideration or do they care about the ships reputation. We decided we wanted to get off the ship and simply take a flight home and went to Guest Services after stopping by our stateroom and finding that the AC wasn't cooling and there was HOT steam coming pout of the toilet. Guest Services literally dialed a toll free number for us in front of all the other guest that were in line and we stood there on the phone for a total of 2 hours trying to find a cost effective route out of the ship - ultimately we stayed because catching a flight from Nassau after spending $2,200 on a three day cruise was not affordable and the customer reps on the phone that refused to connect us to a manager indicated that we would receive a reply via email regarding our complaints. Later that afternoon we successfully were able to watch Grease which was excellent. I say successfully because the on-line bookings that we made were not acknowledged and therefore we had to go on a wait list for all the shows.

Day -3 At Sea. We saw another show 1887, also excellent however, after the show we went to "my time" dining and it was another disaster. Cold food, our server Miguel was so untrained that an assistant server Jasen apologized for our servers lack of attention about four times. The assistant server was a young man from the Philippines, by far the most pleasant crew member we had all weekend.

Good Luck on Harmony of the Seas. After this experience I sincerely doubt I would ever go on another Royal Caribbean Cruise. One more thing... I heard a lot about a "Captains Night" - Captains night never happen!

ymm1969's Full Rating Summary

Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin C2 12629

The cabin was average, nothing extra ordinary. Considering its the biggest newest ship our toilet broke, the hot water wasn't working and sure enough the AC stopped cooling.

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

The ship was being inspected by Boarder Patrol and US Customs, however, the port was easily accessible and the staff in the port was friendly.

ymm1969