3. Radiance of the Seas
Cruising from Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand and fly home was something my friend and I have wanted to do for a long time. Although we very much enjoyed the cruise I think on hindsight we would have preferred to fly to Sydney and cruise back to Fremantle as there were restrictions on our shopping due to baggage limit on flight home. This cruise was advertised as a seniors cruise and I can understand now the attraction although just a senior myself. I think I would have seen under a dozen children and only during the day at meal times. The Radiance of the Seas, what a ship to start cruising on. we loved every aspect of it. We found it a very clean ship, with people working around the clock to keep it that way. Although 2500 passengers plus crew there was never a moment we felt crowded except maybe when there was an event held in the Centrum where we had to jostle for a position on one of the overlooking decks. We selected My Time Dining which we found suited us better. We got to meet and eat with so many lovely people at a time that suited us. We did have most breakfasts and lunches in the Windjammer Café but preferred the Cascades Dining Room in the evenings being able to dress up occasionally before the shows. We found it not necessary with additional costs to eat in any of the other restaurants as both the café and Cascades had a range of delicious foods to whet the appetite and being a 17 day cruise always appeared very fresh. Ah, so much food! Maybe good for a special occasion. There was plenty to do if you wanted, good lectures with interesting subjects but was also quite pleasant to sit back and enjoy. My favourite place supping coffee at Lattitudes. The staff including the entertainment crew were very pleasant and seemed to enjoy doing there jobs especially the Cruise Director. Such a funny man and between him and the Captain, kept us well entertained. Most of the shows and we went to them all were well orchestrated but there were a couple of boring ones where they looked just as bored. Definitely more than half were geared up for the seniors, so thought would have gone into that considering the age group on board. There was plenty of entertainment for the younger ones or young at heart too. Early in the cruise, seating was quite difficult in the theatre but as days went by it seemed you had your session, your chair and sat by the same people. I think the biggest problem on the whole cruise were the public toilets where they were continually out of order. Which wasn't very pleasant at all. Especially those near the dining room. Ports: Esperance - Been there before but went ashore and shared a car with a couple of American people we met online and travelled in convoy with 4 other cars around. They were amazed at the vastness and lack of traffic around. Adelaide - Been before but did our own thing. Melbourne - Stayed on the ship except for a quick visit to the Chemist close by. New Zealand: Beautiful. Loved the place. First ever visit and did the ships tours to all 4 destinations. Expensive but feel we got good value, though we probably would have done just as well in port booking locally. Definitely got the urge to go back and do a land tour one day. I must mention, the tour we did in Wellington - Lord of the Rings & Weta Workshop Tour - WL50 was advertised as "Guests will experience minimal walking over varied surfaces, grass, paved, concrete and loose metal". Be prepared, at the beginning of the tour up Mt. Wellington there was a lot of up and down steep hill walking that my friend was unable to access that particular area and the location of the filming of Lord of the Rings. There is no evidence of there having been any filming, just the particular part of the wood and supposedly recognisable trees. (I have not seen the movies). I think our favourite tour and well recommended was the 'Marlborough Maori Cultural Highlights - PI07' in Picton which gave us all a good insight into learning and preserving the Maori tradition by visiting a local village. I did feel that, everywhere you went on board, there was the hand out for you to spend as many dollars as you could afford, be it photos which were continually displayed, to activities on board. The shopping area and items were very expensive although 'Duty Free'. Make sure you take your own personal items i.e. bathroom products, sun blocks, general headache tabs etc. All in all I we had a fantastic cruise and given us the urge to keep cruising. We would definitely recommend it and a real learning curve but being my first cruise I am unable to compare with any other cruises or cruise ships. I would do this one again but there is a big world out there.

First time cruiser and wasn't disappointed

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Nightowl50

Ports:

Adelaide - Been before but did our own thing.

Nightowl50’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Our selected interior cabin on Deck 9, we thought was well situated and very quiet with cabins above and below, although there was the occasional knocking coming from a cupboard behind the toilet. I myself think I would prefer to have at least a window next time because I did feel quite claustrophobic at times though my friend was quite happy with it.

Our cabin is advertised for 4 people with 2 bunks flush with the ceiling, out of sight which would be pulled down at night. I think there would be less room and problems with the King set up rather than twin beds which we had if there were 4 people. Although small, there was plenty of room for the period of times we were in there. The cabin had plenty storage as there were only 2 of us. The bathroom was small and I had a few altercations with the shower curtain on occasions. The small fridge wouldn't get cold at all, even though we removed the contents to put our own few things in. It was more like an esky. Our cabin assistant Darwin though very busy and attentive to all his cabins was the funniest person and accommodated us with our requests, especially ice. Air conditioning worked fine and we were able to control it to a comfortable temperature
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans