3. Celebrity Solstice
Whilst the itinerary had the right balance of sea days to port days, Celebrity failed to help me truly enjoy the sea days. Immediately upon boarding, we were attacked by a photographer pushing photo packages, then by a cocktail waiter pushing beverage packages, then by a restaurant staff pushing specialty-restaurant packages. I thought I had arrived in port in a third-world country with the natives peddling their wares! Whenever we sail Celebrity, we sail Aqua Class, Celebrity's spa class. Aqua Class provides open seating in their exclusive restaurant for breakfast and dinner; I hate eating at a set schedule everyday so open seating is my main attraction as well as the exclusivity. However, they've increased the number of tables in the dining room so the muesli cart service was eliminated for breakfast. Additionally, the menu was more decadent with fewer if even, healthier options. As far as increasing the number of tables, I assume it was to lessen wait times for seating. In the past, I really didn't mind waiting because wait time was less than 20 minutes which allowed me to go next door to get a pre-dinner drink. Aqua Class used to have spa-like features in the staterooms. Again, Celebrity failed here. The stateroom was so run down. The mattress pad was tired as well as the linens, pillows, and towel. They eliminated the plush bath towels and replaced them with raggedy, small, thin towels. The bed linens were so worn and thin. They also used to provide bottled water daily to Aqua Class, another eliminated feature. Also, the furnishings on the ship were worn. I saw many chipped and broken edges and torn seats. As Aqua Class guests, we are supposed to have unlimited access to the Persian Garden, the hot-stone lounge and steam room. When I asked the spa's assistant manager why my room key doesn't work to access the lounge, she said she had to limit the number of guests. I understand that the room might not be able to accommodate all of the Aqua Class guests at the same time, however, to use the word, "limit," is contrary to what Celebrity sold me. Of course, if I came to visit the Persian Garden and saw it was full, common sense would tell me to come back in a few minutes. Although the manager telephoned my room, I never saw her around the spa to discuss my frustration. Along with the manager, the fitness trainer was rude, both employees are probably in the wrong line of business. However, the equipment in the gym is incredible. Then the shows - wow, what a disappointment. The cast was less than average. However, the guest entertainers were fantastic. Bottom line, Celebrity allowed this beautiful vessel to age and ignored the product they sold me. It was also obvious they might be hurting for money, eliminating much of their services. Although the crew tried making comfortable sailing, they could not make up for the company's short-comings. The crew assured me that the ship was going to be dry docked upon arrival in Singapore, but why neglect the little things until dry dock? Celebrity should no longer use the words, "Modern Luxury."

Great itinerary but not-quite-so-great accommodations.

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by robb11561

robb11561’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

AquaClass
Cabin A2 1501
Definitely not spa like. No plush towels. Worn linens, mattress, and pillows. Furnishings tired and in disrepair.
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
    The excursion was for a driving tour through the city, then some time in the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, then some more touring through the city. The city tour had only one stop for a photo opportunity. Then time in the Sanctuary was limited to an hour and a half. I would have been more pleased with less time touring and more time playing with koalas.
    View All 25 Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary Reviews
  • Barrier Reef
    This tour was worth it's money. With the limited time in port, this tour maximised our time in the Great Barrier Reef, allowing snorkeling, scuba diving, and lunch. The tour providers were excellent in every aspect of the tour. I wished the cruise overnighted in this port.
    View All 17 Barrier Reef Reviews