3. Emerald Star
The boat is very modern & clean. Some of the other boats we saw looked like floating old people's homes but Emerald Star is shiny chrome & glass. Cabin was well appointed. The swimming pool area is great and a dinky but adequate gym. Overworked staff do their best but when you've paid a lot of money for a week''s holiday you don't need to spend it feeling sorry for them. We were constantly reminded how the chef had to produce our food in a tiny kitchen. Sorry, but I too have worked hard to pay for this cruise so it's not my problem. A lot of Americans on our cruise which made the buffet breakfasts & lunches an uncivilised scrum. Americans don't queue nicely. No reserved seating for evening meals so no guarantee of sitting together if you are in a party. Having paid a premium for good cabins we found ourselves most of the time, when docked, directly alongside another river boat looking into each other's cabins. Also some bilge type odours wafting up as there was nowhere for it to escape. Some issues getting on and off the boat in these circumstances as you had to climb up and over up to 3 vessels - not good for anyone with mobility issues although the crew do try their best. We were looking forward to the cinema at night but it only happened twice. Such a shame as it's a great feature. I was disappointed that we did most of the travelling at night so we never got to relax and enjoy the view as the TV adverts show. We were of course too busy on shore excursions during the day so you can't have it all. Entertainment was a joke. A couple of poor quizzes. Drinks package very poor value as they are so understaffed you wait ages to get served. Excursions were good and pretty well organised. Our cruise director was the reason I would never do an Emerald cruise again. She was a perfect storm of loud, patronising & bossy. Shouty Sheryl the Peril. Very rude & dismissive to some passengers with what I thought to be reasonable requests/complaints. If she'd had a cattle prod I suspect she would have used it with her perma smile still on her face.

So many things not customer friendly - especially the cruise director.

Emerald Star Cruise Review by Emeraldstar

Emeraldstar’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Star price drops

Very clean cabin. Facilities good. Beds comfy.