3. Carnival Miracle
I'm going to give you a real review. It may be highly candid and critical, but it's real and not an over-embellished, best-vacation-of-my-life review because in all honesty, this was one of the worst trips I have ever been on. Carnival certainly has a customer demographic. I definitely do not fit any of these profiles. I saw at least 6 distinct groups - 1) senior citizens 2) families with small children, 3) girlfriend trips 4) very obese people (a bariatic surgeon could make a killing on this ship) 5) honeymooners/anniversary celebrators and 6) "I am gonna stay drunk the whole trip because I can" people. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean twice and taking this Carnival trip was like taking a jump from shopping at Nordstrom to shopping at Dollar General. Let's start with the ship. It's definitely a ship approaching 30+ years in the fleet. The decor is stuck in the 80s. The rooms have not been updated and while clean, there is nothing to write home about. The internet is horrible. The wifi router is located somewhere on the lower decks and getting a signal to the upper decks is worthless. If a 100 story building can have wifi reach all its floors - then it can on a cruise ship as well. Don't spend the extra money for "better" internet. Just take your tablet or laptop down to the 2nd or 3rd floor areas and surf away. Embarkment procedures - yes, long lines - the Miracle holds 2200 passengers so it's going to be a bit of a lengthy process to get inside. That didn't bother me as much as standing around muster stations waiting for guidance on the safety procedures. About 500 people stood around for 30+ minutes waiting to hear about the safety protocol. No updates on when were going to hear anything, just standing around aimlessly without any sort of guidance.. I remember on RC - they did it with smaller groups and it was much more efficient. Food - Biggest gripe. Average at best. There are not enough food stations on the ship to feed 2200 people so often times you are waiting in line. And they only have 2-3 servers working each station. Nothing amazing - sandwiches, Chinese food, burgers/hotdogs, lots of fried food, pizza and more along the fast food/chain buffet variety. I really wanted a good salad bar, but that was below average in choices so I stayed away from that completely. They have self-serve ice cream and yogurt stations which the kids were all over. The main dining room was awful. I went 2 nights and sent my food back both nights. Bland, unappetizing, no flavor. The service was hit or miss. One evening, they waited half way through my meal to bring the wine to my table. On the 2nd night I called the Dining Room Manager over to complain about the food. Then I stayed away the next 2 nights and when I decided to give the Dining room another try- he came over and greeted me by name and to check on me at least 4x. I give him kudos for that. The food was better that evening, but you can't mess up french onion soup and ravioli that badly. Pools - 3 Pools on the ship. One mid-ship, one forward, one aft - the Serenity Pool. - adult pool. The mid-ship pool has a DJ and lots of activities during the day. It's good for kids. The Serenity pool was often busy and filled with loud, crass, low-class people (that was my take anyway). One day when I went to get in the pool it was apparent someone had vomited in there. So I called it out and people still chose to sit in the pool - GROSS! Carnival took about 30 minutes to respond and close off/shock the pool. THIS IS THE CLASS OF PEOPLE YOU ARE TRAVELING WITH! Entertainment - I didn't bother. I didn't want to spend anymore time with the majority of these people than I had to. The lobby bar on 2 was nice, but that's about as much time as I spent enjoying the entertainment. Service - hit or miss. I can tell the service team gets worn down by the crass and rude travelers on the trip. At one point when I was in the gift shop, the couple before me had forgotten to activate their ship and sail card (this is your main form of currency on board) and I told the cashier that it wasn't his fault and to disregard those rude people. My cabin steward IMade was very nice and pleasant. Be sure to tip your stewards because these people work 12-15 hour days with no days off. Health Club - it was decent enough. A variety of cardio equipment and weight machines. There is a fitness studio you can use to do stretching and such. They do have some classes, but I chose not to get up at 8am on my vacation to partake. Excursions - overpriced. You can book your own excursions in port. Yes, Carnival will warn you about "getting stuck" by a private excursion that can go wrong, but I think these people have been doing it long enough to prepare for anything. Don't let Carnival's scare tactics stop you. Our ports of call were Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Not that impressed with Cabo, but loved PV and will be back - just not on a cruise. So a long and honest review. You don't like what I have to say - ignore it and go see for yourself. Even though it is more money, I will stick to RC or the other luxury cruise liners from now on.

It's a MIRACLE I stayed on this ship for as long as I did.

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by seasonedvacationer

seasonedvacationer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Miracle price drops

• Snorkeling
    I booked a private excursion with Cabo Golden Coast Cruise and Snorkel on the Oceanus. Warning - they won't feed you until 1pm and you are getting off the boat at 8:30/9am so make sure you pack snacks. It was average. I would not do it again.
    View All 58 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Los Angeles
    The check-in time is long it is better to get there earlier rather than later.
    View All 517 Los Angeles Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Los Angeles Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    I booked a day at the Hyatt Ziva PV. This is an all-inclusive resort with infinity pools, beach/ocean front and all-inclusive dining and drinks. This was the best day I had. I wished I could have stayed at the Hyatt, but I know i will be back after the wonderful 4 hours I had at this resort.