Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by melbloch
- Sail Date: October 2016
- Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
- Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda (partially obstructed view)
1. Holes in the "black out" curtain lining. I had to put small black patches over the holes to stop the light from the promenade deck below shining into my eyes during the night.
2. Shower caps, cotton swabs and ear buds no longer supplied as amenities. They have to be requested.
3. Big productions shows are now done in house. Except for one or two dances, the dancers have a lot to learn about timing - they just don't seem to get it right.
4. Some of the special entertainers are passed their sell by date and have been on the circuit for years.
5. Speciality restaurants and spa marketing - wherever you go, even when trying to eat in the buffet, they bear down upon you (do say though, not as aggressive as on the Reflection where you are made to feel bad if you do not take a package, even resorting to telemarketing).
6. As a vegetarian I am dismayed at the continuous cross contamination of meat/fish with the salads and vegetables. We eat our meals in the buffet. Each and every meal I would see passengers using the same tongs for the meats/fish as for the salads or vegetables alongside at the grill or carvery. What is so difficult in putting the protein to one side, or having the meats on one counter and the vegetables on the next one?
7. Deserts always look fabulous but most of them are hardly worth the calories.
8. Smokers should not be allowed to use the elevators - their stink lingers after they have got out of the elevator. Elevators in any case are not ventilated properly. And as for the cigar smokers, well, really, the time has come to ban them completely.
9. I suggest cabin doors have stickers to tell passengers to CLOSE the door and not let it bang. Most disruptive if you have people coming back to the cabin at all hours of the night. I have learnt that a good cabin is one where you have quiet neighbours - this cruise we were lucky enough to have considerate neighbours on both sides.
10. A disgrace to charge US$20 pp per day for shuttle service from the ship into Ashdod. You are not allowed to walk in the port and the taxis won't take you such a short distance. This was an overnight port, which meant US$80 for two people who want to get off the ship both days. What a rip off. At least in Haifa the port supplied the shuttles free of charge.
11. And of course, the outrageous charge for internet use......
1. Check in and check out most efficient and quick.
2. Stateroom was kept spotlessly clean.
3. Decent selection of cheeses in the Oceanview at all meals. Indian food always superb.
4. Crew and staff, from the captain down to the lowest level, very friendly and always have time to ask how you are.
5. No smoking in the casino - a pleasure to spend time there.
6. No announcements in the cabin - what a pleasure!
7. Most important of all - smooth seas!
250,000+ people have entered their email
Possibility of smoke wafting up from the promenade deck port side below, making it most unpleasant to sit on the verandah or leave the door open.
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Athens (Piraeus)have been to Athens and Pireaus often, like to take a walk around the market.View All 1,276 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
Haifa (Tel Aviv)A pleasure to have free shuttle bus supplied by the town. Most enjoyable walking to the restored German Colony and looking at the fabulous gardens of the Bahai Temple.View All 164 Haifa (Tel Aviv) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Haifa (Tel Aviv) Cruise Port Review
Jerusalem (Ashdod)Very much more modern town than we had expected, but a disgrace that the ship charges US$20 per person per day for the shuttle, especially as you have no option to walk out of the port.View All 93 Jerusalem (Ashdod) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Jerusalem (Ashdod) Cruise Port Review
Katakolon (Olympia)Have been here often but love to walk up and down the village, also go for a swim weather permitting.View All 560 Katakolon (Olympia) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Katakolon (Olympia) Cruise Port Review
KusadasiThe stalking of the shop owners is getting out of hand and makes one feel very uncomfortable.View All 632 Kusadasi Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Kusadasi Cruise Port Review
Malta (Valletta)Love wandering around the town of Valletta.View All 624 Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Review
MykonosQuaint town, like to meander along the lanes and get something to drink while using the wifi.View All 1,085 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
Rome (Civitavecchia)Always enjoy spending a day or two before the cruise in this charming town.View All 2,223 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Review