3. Viking Sea
The cruise was suggested by friends and we arrived in Venice with reasonable expectations of Viking's usual efficiency. This was our third experience with the company. At the airport we we told we had no transfer arrangements and I had to dig through luggage to prove it had indeed been prepaid. We arrived at our cabin which was filled with paint fumes. we thought they would disperse and opened the door. By the second day we could taste paint, the fumes were so bad and after whining an air purifier arrived and we were notified the problem was "solved". That was more or less true by the fifth day and after one of us became ill. Our dinner pre-booked reservations were completely erased, but the services manager found a way to get us back in the system. One massage appointment had been booked before the cruise and the time had been confirmed upon arrival. That was switched to the same time as a dinner reservation with no explanation or notice. It was just luck that I was checking what time we were to meet our friends that I noticed it. When I called to ask why and that I couldn't do it then, I was told it was because I had booked online. When I said I had confirmed upon arriving, the appointment was put back to the original scheduled time. I tried to have tea one day and was told there was no room and to sit elsewhere, which I did. Foolishly I assumed I would be served the full tea there. What I got was a cup and a scone. The closest I got to the fantasy of watercress sandwiches on three tiered servers was through the window of the overcrowded room. The reason I am not giving the cruise a" terrible" rating is the land guides were good to excellent, though they were not Vilking employees and our cabin steward did his best, and even defended our need to solve the paint fume problem. So why was all this so bad? Because it ate up a huge amount of time standing in line trying to solve issues. If I was a solo traveller I would expect to invest time in logistical trials, but "traveling the world in comfort" did not happen for us.

Why would I dis Viking, when I used to be a fan?

Viking Sea Cruise Review by hanidagain

hanidagain’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

Don't expect a view out of the front. Also do expect to have to pull your drapes, not matter how bad the toxic fumes are, as soon as it is dark. The captain needs that to be done so he can see.