3. Carnival Breeze
The Galveston boarding process for us went smoothly. It was not congested as I thought it would be and the lines moved fast and quickly, which means there was enough security staff to scan luggage and get you on board. I was impressed and it increased my anticipation for more good things to come. For the Breeze to be a fairly newer ship, I thought it was older, i.e., chipped painting, soiled floors, leaky public restrooms, stale smell in hallways, broken ironing boards in laundry rooms, rusting, peeling varnish, etc. Our balcony cabin was nice, but not as spacious as I expected and I had a hard time sleeping in the "miniature" bed but by they 3rd night I was able to sleep. There is adequate closet space and the in-room safe was very convenient. The bathroom shower did not have a sliding door to keep water in, but we made do. Loved the idea of Spa robes, but they had a "dewy" smell, were very wrinkled and battered (the replacements too). I have been a long-time cruiser with Royal Caribbean but as a first time cruiser on Carnival, I must say that I wasn't impressed. I had a good time with my fellow cruisers, but my biggest disappointed was with the food selections, choices, extra charges for steak at dinner seating outside of 1st night and the lack of availability of food for late night eating. There's only so much pizza and Guy's burger you can stand in one week. Someone needs to look at menu options and do something about it. The buffet breakfast was fantastic, but was only available on sea days. The Barbeque Pit (I think it's called Big Jimmy's - sea days only!) was horrible. I had been waiting with anticipation when I found out a barbeque place was on board, but greatly disappointed when I tasted the food. I've never had barbeque sauce with no taste. The pulled pork almost made me bring it back up when I bit into it. I am not one who like to waste food, but there was no way I could even begin to stomach anything on my plate out side of the sausage links. I was feeling bad about throwing away my food, but when I looked around at other tables, I noticed the same and took it upon myself to ask others and they all agreed that the food was bland and lacked any taste. In my world, I could tell that the food wasn't cooked with love and care. Our cabin steward (Redi) was fantastic, but other than that, no other service personnel knew anything, i.e., directions, what was going one, where to go, etc. I was truly disappointed when deck hands would walk by and act as if you were not even present. I know it can be challenging sometimes to do customer service while on task, but that the business you're in. It should be that everyone should be made to feel special for the prices we pay. On the last night, a pipe burst in the hallway(we were on deck 12) and it poured like rain (literally) for about 2 hours. This meant the water came into every cabin along the hallway and soaked the floor. Seeing that much water come onto a ship at any time is not a good thing, especially when out at sea. Thankfully, they shop-vac'd the carpet and provided us with a blower. They asked us to leave our rooms while they did this but forgot to include a card in the light slot and the blower was not working when we returned, which means, we had to leave a card in the slot and stay out of the room for some more hours. This happened around 4:00 a.m. in the morning and even though we phoned when it happened, it took several (2-3) hours for anyone to respond and water was literally flooding the entire hallway. We were happy with the credit they provided for any inconveniences, but I do believe the response time should have been immediate (especially since the entire staff is already on board). Entertainment was mediocre at best but I pushed my way through it. It was boring and lacked luster and production organization. The stage was outdated and definitely didn't have state of the art equipment because we saw roadies moving stage props while trying to watch the show (this was very distracting) and the microphone system had a lot of static and sound quality was poor. I felt for the entertainers and didn't bother to go see anymore shows. Our ports and shore excursions were great! Just wish Hurricane Matthew wouldn't have diverted us from Grand Cayman on our scheduled day because they had to cancel our much anticipated "Segway" excursion because we arrived on another day. The cruise line quickly refunded our accounts (even if it was to the wrong person in the room). The other alternatives were great as we took the "City Tour" excursion for the price of one Segway. I do want to thank the Captain for making the decision to divert away from the storm's path. The Fun Shops were nice and I enjoyed the specials they ran towards the end of our cruise. I really liked the opening day sale in the liquor shop. We travelled with a group of 30 and was pleased with the "cocktail" hour they provided for our group (even though our group's host had to insist on it). The drinks were toooooooo expensive and watered down. That's unless you spend money in the casino and then it on and popping after you reached certain reward points. To be open-minded, I am scheduled to cruise on Carnival's Splendor in 2017 which will be the defining factor of whether or not I will ever cruise with Carnival. I must say, Carnival can take a few tips from Royal Caribbean (6 cruises) that never disappointed me, so I'm well over just being amused with being able to cruise at a slightly cheaper rate.

I was looking to be bedazzled.... not!

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by theladyexec

theladyexec’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Cabin 12037
Our cabin steward (Redi) was fantastic.
  Carnival Breeze Deck Plans