Costa Pacifica Cruise Review

Late break booked In June when on Magica.

Costa Pacifica Cruise Review by tenpin

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Suite with Balcony

Costa Pacifica 9th Oct 16.  Savona, Marseille, Ajaccio, Cagliari, La Valletta, Rome, Savona.

Some nice ports on this short cruise even we ventured ashore in two of them decent weather made my slow walking enjoyable.

Our second time on the Pacifica not much had changed so we knew our way round, very easy embarkation  due to our Suite booking, was dreading the queues at Savona after the new club rules downgraded Gold Pearl to just priority boarding not preferential.

Enjoyed a really nice lunch in what was the Club Restaurant now set aside for Suite guests & Perla Diamante club members, but also for any paying guest who wish slightly nicer surroundings with mainly tables for two.   We elected to eat in the MDR for our evening meals as we enjoy a table for six with company, this proved to be a great choice as we met two from Norway, who told us a little more about that Country, & a couple from six Miles from where we live.

On to the food, in my opinion it is getting  un-expiring & very bland, limited in choice  to just two of each & very hard to understand what is being offered, surely someone should investigate why so much is being left on plates, I was glad however of the extras offered of Shrimp & Lobster even if being charged for them (15E) they saved the night at least twice after not finding anything to my taste on the Menu. A couple on our table were appalled by the menu's after cruising with Costa in the late 90's & telling friends about the wonderful food served to them then, I can relate to that as I still have most of those fabulous menus from those days.   Although mostly the same dishes were served to suite guests with perhaps one extra they did seem slightly better prepared & cooked, if fact I think we may just eat there on our February cruise, & least I won't have to pay for the Shrimp & lobster dishes.

The cabin was well appointed & nicely set out, spotlessly clean, choice of pillows was an added bonus as I do like a soft feather one beneath my head. A little about the difference between these suites & a premium balcony, they have extended the bathroom which now has a Jacuzzi bath, shower & a dressing room, bags of storage space both here & in the main cabin, overall just slightly larger than the normal balcony cabin, also being offered at the moment is the best drinks package the Intenditore (@ 49.95 euros a day free) for purchasing a suite. Not to sure that the so called Butler was of any use other than to serve breakfast, he never once asked us if everything was okay or if we wanted anything, I found him a little off-putting and would rather have had the cabin steward who was a delight.

Only went to one show but put off by the number of guests sitting on the stairs after show had started, chatting a blocking any chance of an exit should we need to leave. This practice should be stopped close the doors after the start, they were still coming in 30 minutes later, one even lent against my leg while sitting down, causing me some pain. However those on our table said they were enjoyable & mainly the songs were in English.

Booked this cruise mainly because we wanted to see the Blue Grotto in Malta having tried twice before with other lines & cancelled, pleased when tickets turned up and boarded the coach, only to be told boat out had been cancelled due to heavy waves & we were taken to top above the Grotto to look, oh dear I couldn't make it down the steps so had to sit up top till they all came back, so just going to have to book another cruise there, so I have another chance. (note to all wishing to see it, don't go while I am on board.)

It might sound that we did not enjoy this cruise, nothing could be further from the truth, Costa have proved once again what great value for the money their cruises are, & even with the falling standard of food choices, we still enjoy them overall, and look forward to our February cruise with them.

Marks out of ten, for service, cleanliness, value & perks we must give a good nine.

tenpin's Full Rating Summary

Suite with Balcony
Cabin S 7328

Although nicely laid out the only difference between this suite & our normal Premium balcony cabin is the bathroom which was fabulous. The Butler added nothing to our enjoyment of the cruise but some nice touches were given to the cabin during the week, fresh fruit, canapés, wine, were part of the Suite perks plenty of cupboard space for longer cruises.

Blue Grotto Boat Trip

Third time of trying to see the Blue Gotto every time it has been cancelled, thought we had it covered this time as we boarded our coach only to be told boats were not sailing due to bad weather, tours the Island but unable to climb down hill to view grotto from cliff top, wasted 88 Euros.

View All 32 Blue Grotto Boat Trip Reviews