3. Andaman Explorer
This was meant to be the inaugural cruise of the MY Andaman Explorer commencing October 2nd out of Kawthaung Myanamar When we arrived we were told that the ships generator was broken and that it would not be sailing that day.We were put into a Hotel in Kawthaung for that night in the anticipation that the boat would depart the following day.The next day arrived we checked out of the hotel and did a sightseeing tour of Kawthaung.Well no surprise the boat was still not ready, it was stuck in Thailand,back to the hotel again. The following day we checked out of the hotel once more and finally we were told that the boat had left Thailand and would be arriving at Kawthaung that afternoon. Our jubilation soon evaporated once we boarded the boat. It was an utter shambles.The boat was a filthy rusting wreck,which should have been en-route for the breakers yard,certainly not a luxury cruise. It is almost difficult to give a description of what was an absolute shambles.Dirt,rust,toilets not working,chairs strewn around the decks,the decks a greasy filthy mess,the so called fitness room was a junk room,the passengers galley was trashed,our shower was black with dirt and full of mold,the toilet would not flush.My wife used the communal toilet ,there was no soap,no towels and the sink did not work.The front observation deck was missing half of the bar stools,bits were broken off,cushions had been removed. There were duct taped electrical sockets,holes in the ceilings,open hatchways with 20 feet drops into the unknown. This may sound unimaginable ,I am understating the disastrous condition of this boat. On talking to the Captain I asked him why there was damage to the starboard bow;it transpired the rudder had broken;this was apart from the generator which seems minor in comparison.We left the boat the following day before it set sail(it did not get far, the generator broke down again) Pandaw did reimburse us for the cost of the cruise after I threatened to post pictures of the boat online.They put us on a river cruise on the Irawaddy as an alternative.That boat was up to Pandaw standards although it took us another three days to get on that boat.I am truly dismayed at the the descriptions of the boat as advertized by Pandaw and other tour operators.This is really deception beyond ones wildest imagination.I wish I could attach photographs to this review. This boat needs a major overhaul before it should be considered fit for service.

The Shipwreck

Andaman Explorer Cruise Review by michael sharp

Our jubilation soon evaporated once we boarded the boat.

michael sharp’s Full Rating Summary
Get Andaman Explorer price drops

Bathroom was not clean.Mold in and around shower stall and toilet packed up after first flush.No effort was made to repair toilet

More Andaman Explorer Reviews