Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review
2,315 Reviews

Great Cruise for Cash Cows!!

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by russtanner

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

i took a half term break with my three children on Navigator of the Seas,, I really wish I hadnt .This is a very expensive cruise line .

Good points : Boarding was quick ,unlike P&O where you sit like sardines in the Ocean terminal like sardines before any security checks hoping that none of the people packed in that terminal have anything ticking in their rucksacks !.

the Meat is always very nice , and they bake nice cookies ...... unfortunately ,,, thats about it .

This cruise ship is very very expensive , first thing to consider is the dreaded drinks package,one is a soda package at 10 Dollars per day , the second is a non descript non alcoholic cocktail package at around 30 Dollars a day, and the third is the "Ultimate Package" at 58 Dollars a day which covers pretty much everything.

Also you must add to these packages an extra 18% Gratuity.

I asked Royal Caribbean what exchange rates they were using and was told 1.09 Dollars to the pound ..... ouch !!.

when you consider that a glass of Pinot noir costs 12.00 Dollars plus 18% Gratuity ( 14.16 Dollars ) converted to pound notes thats £12.99 per glass of wine !!!!????. WOW ,I was shocked and in my state of confusion and dismay ,,,I signed up for three Ultimate and a one soda package which came to 1044 dollars plus 18% gratuity ( 1,231.92 dollars ) .

as you can guess ,, all this within one hour of being on the ship ,, i needed a drink !!.

The Gratuity is salt in the wound as there are very few drinks waiters and 98% of the time you go up and order from the bar !!.

Drunkeness was a problem for the 6 days we were aboard this ship. When people are paying a lot of money for drinks packages ,, its human nature to make sure you get your moneys worth . We had to move tables in the dining room after the parents from a group of seven got very drunk and caused a big argument and scene at dinner. In 15 years cruising I can honestly say Ive never experienced anything like it , I ended up making a statement to security, and not eating in the dining room for three of the six nights as the people concerned continued to drink to excess !!. This apart , the food was very average , and certainly not what i would consider " cruise food". We were served delights such as mash potato and croquet potatoes which to be honest , i can buy in Iceland at home.

Lobster was a 35 dollar surcharge where as on P&O it comes as standard.

shuttle buses were extra at ports , i spent 60 Euros on these at two ports

Our room steward was a pleasant girl who i saw only about four times , she never introduced herself and i still dont know her name . Our cabin was kept in an ok condition tho a broken glass was still there at the side of my bed when we departed .... three days after the incident that lead to its demise.

This is a very average , bottom shelf ship that is way past a refit .... where I felt like a cash cow being milked on a daily basis .I could go on but wont .

needless to say "never again " with Royal Caribbean , spend a bit more and go with Cunard

, you will be happy you did

russtanner's Full Rating Summary