3. Norwegian Jade
The Jade we were told is due for refurbishment in March. I have to say that her aesthetics were not what bothered our group at all. Let's start with the good: The evening entertainment was diverse and in most cases excellent. The food was good, and we ate only at the complimentary venues. The cabins were fine, our cabin staff were pleasant and efficient. Everything on board was kept clean and tidy and upkeep was good The live music venues gave a varied offer and were pleasant and well attended. Destinations were interesting and very enjoyable. Now the less good: The entertainment crew were atrocious, very little charisma, even less motivation, barely seen at the different venues most evenings, or next to the pool, table tennis tables and so forth and when they were there, they in the main seemed to be there under duress. I have been cruising for very many years, honestly the entertainment crew on the Jade were the worst Ive ever encountered. [ I exclude the musicians from this] There were very, very few organized activities , we really had to look very hard to find activities for adults and young adults that did not cost anything extra or that were not there in order to encourage passengers to spend money ( e.g lectures on acupuncture, posture, aches and pains , gems and so forth) . We had a total of 2 sea days - on the last sea day there were very few events over the entire day that were "free". The events themselves were really low grade and therefore attendance was low. As an example - charades - after 6 charades that each took a minute or two, the crew member running the event said " can I already say who the winner is or do you want some more?" This was 15 minutes into the game and she was kind enough to do another two before leaving. The hot white evening was an exception to this statement but even then the team disappeared fairly early. I also noted that whereas in the past winners of games were given prizes, this time with the exception of "weakest link" and the cake decorating completion ( run by the chef and not the entertainment crew)- all I saw was signing on an activity card which was supposed to get you prizes at the end of the cruise ( I don't know if this happened I didn't check). The crew in general seemed tired and unmotivated. Some of the waiters were fine but others were slow and even grumpy. I wonder if this has anything to do with the automatic tipping system? The new instruction not to bring water aboard is ridiculous – they state this is for the safety of guests however they have no problem for guests to bring glass bottles of wine aboard as long as they pay a corkage fee. Somehow the corkage fee turns liquids in bottles into safe items?? There were some ridiculous situations as pointed out by a previous review; including guests who had bought over priced water packages on board – took these bottles ashore when they went touring but then couldn’t bring them back on board when they returned to the ship. So double whammy –pay an exorbitant cost of water and then throw it away. Really ridiculous. I again have to agree with some previous reviews, NCL seem to be deteriorating significantly: we cruised on NCL this past December, we were very aware this time of how the company seems to be penny pinching even as compared to less than a year ago. We are seasoned cruisers and have been cruising for the past 45 years, naturally we have seen the lowering of the level of service and food since we began cruising, but somehow this time it felt that NCL were really lowering the bar with regards the included activities, food and services. This includes payment for room service and the none existent menu for room service which we actually had enjoyed using on previous cruises. I must add that we chatted with many guests from different countries and this sentiment was repeated again and again . One incident we had was really upsetting : I was walking to a deck chair carrying a plate with a sandwich when a guest moved their chair into me and I tripped and went flying. I badly gashed my shin and bled quite profusely and was in a lot of pain. My husband asked a member if staff if there was a first aid kit at the pool and was told to go down to the 4th deck and buy one. Guests came to my assistance kindly offering band aids and ice whilst the crew didn't even come and ask if I was ok. It took a long time for the bleeding to stop and whilst other guests came to ask how I was feeling, not one member of crew did. Later my husband spoke to the Guest relations manager and was told that crew are not allowed to give first aid assistance , however they should have ordered a wheel chair and taken me to the infirmary. He did offer us a free meal at one of the restaurants which we declined as that was not the point of our complaint, we were just so upset at the lack of care on the part of the staff. Despite all of the above, we firmly believe in making the best of things and we enjoyed our cruise, the destinations and the fellow cruisers that we met aboard. Will we cruise Norwegian again? Never say never, but definitely not as a first option …

NCL penny pinching lowers level of cruise

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by lannie62

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Let's start with the good:

The evening entertainment was diverse and in most cases excellent.

The food was good, and we ate only at the complimentary venues.

The cabins were fine, our cabin staff were pleasant and efficient.

Everything on board was kept clean and tidy and upkeep was good

The live music venues gave a varied offer and were pleasant and well attended.

Destinations were interesting and very enjoyable.

Now the less good:

lannie62’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Balcony
Cabin BX
Pleasant, usual size, good room steward, maintenance done on balcony while we were in Port, came back to find our room door open , 3 men in our room and a terrible smell of paint as they had worked with the balcony door open. Message received in room prior to these works was not accurate
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins