3. Marella Celebration
We sailed on the Thomson Celebration from September 29 - October 5 on the Eastern Mediterranean trip. It was our first-ever cruise so we were pretty green and did not have anything to compare it with. First impressions were good, embarkation no problem and our deluxe cabin 136 was much larger than we imagined it would be. Enjoyed first day walk excursion in Dubrovnik, taking in cable car and the extremely busy walled city. Next day was Athens, what a dump and a miserable courier. Glad to get back but not so happy with the sickness and diarrhea bug (norovirus warning had greeted us in cabin on arrival) that struck me almost immediately. Called the doctor and he gave injection and confined both myself and my partner to the cabin. Next day was miserable sitting on bed most of the time - glad we had a window - and missed booked excursion to Itea. We were released from cabin late that evening as I had recovered sufficiently so were okay for Corfu Town trip next day. Enjoyed that, taking boat ride around the caves and a winding coach journey up to an impressive vantage point at a local restaurant Looking forward to Montenegro excursion the next day but hopes dashed when partner went down with the bug the previous evening. Given the jab by the doc and confined to cabin, I was allowed out but had to stay on ship. I did go out on deck early in the morning as the ship moved in through the fjords, impressive. On each occasion the doctor said he would hand our unused excursion tickets to reception and apparently if you book them on the ship you are reimbursed immediately, but we booked ours in our local Thomson shop prior to departure. Reception told us refunds would take 7-14 days paid on the card on which they were issued. That time passed and no money had arrived, so I complained and Thomson stated they would deal with the issue within 28 days of my contact email. What great PR. We revisited our local shop in an attempt to expedite the matter and were told the Montenegro refund had been issued - the problem was nobody had told us and it certainly was not in our bank account. As to the Itea payment the shop managed to ascertain that the matter was under investigation but were unable to reveal any more as the 'investigators' refused to release any further details. No further contact so far. What a farce. Are they saying we are lying? We booked five trips on five days at a cost of £360 which would suggest we intended to enjoy as much of the holiday as possible. Surely they only have to check the ship's medical records to find the truth - presumably these would include details of injections, confinement to cabin etc. If not somebody was sadly lacking in their duty. In future on cruises we will certainly heed the advice of a senior member of crew - avoid the self service area whenever possible and eat in the main restaurants. A final word for the staff - apart from the reception desk which was hopeless in most cases they were excellent and our cabin steward Mustaffah was a real star.

Debut cruise proved real eye-opener

Marella Celebration Cruise Review by dorothy09

dorothy09’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Celebration price drops

No problems with cabin, larger than expected. Steward services excellent
  Marella Celebration Deck Plans