3. Viking Astrild
This fall my wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary by taking our first ever cruise on the Elbe river from Berlin to Prague. We booked 18 months in advance and secured one of two Voyager Suites on the ship to celebrate in style. We also extended our trip 2 days on both ends to enjoy two cities that have long been on my bucket list. In large part our Viking experience was excellent. Transfers were well done, hotels very nice in great locations, the ship(s) were spectacular, crews excellent, tours/guides very knowledgeable. The food was ok but a little disappointing - the chefs did their best with the underlying product provided, but it was a best good hotel convention food. So why only a 3 rating? We did not cruise! Viking notified us a few days before sailing that water levels were low and it was possible the boat would not be able to cruise the length of the river. This became a reality and after the first night we docked at Wittenberg and bussed to our locations. Mid-trip we packed up and did a ship swap to a sister ship docked in Dresden where again we bussed to our tour destinations. A couple weeks after returning I contacted Viking customer service to relate our high level of satisfaction of the product provided but requested a refund for the incomplete experience. Within a couple hours of writing my email a very professional customer service representative called, listened, and offered discounts on future trips. I respectfully declined - the principle in play is Viking failed to deliver on their brand promise; appropriate and reasonable compensation is a fair expectation. Bottom line. Great product but do your research on water levels before booking your cruise. High water can also prevent cruising so check with Viking, your travel agent, and look for reviews like this one before committing.

Choose your cruise dates carefully.

Viking Astrild Cruise Review by GMJohn

• Sail Date: August 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

So why only a 3 rating? We did not cruise!

GMJohn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Astrild price drops

Veranda Suite
Cabin AA
Superb. Great space, wonderful bathroom, excellent balcony. Pretty much perfect.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    Nice half day hitting the major sites including Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, government center, the wall, museum island, etc.
    View All 123 City Tour Reviews