3. Celebrity Constellation
The overall impression we were left with during and following this cruise with Celebrity X was one of total dissatisfaction and based on this experience we will be exploring other cruise lines in respect of our future cruise choices. We shall certainly not be returning to Celebrity X. The quality of our dinning experience is an important aspect of cruising for us yet this cruise ship fell a long way short of providing anything even close to the standard we were expecting. There are restaurants on the ship which are not available to general passengers unless they pay an extra supplement on top of the cruise price though having spoken to more than one passenger who availed themselves of this 'extra' and heard their disappointment I am heartily pleased that we did not bother. The supplement in question was around $50 per person which meant an additional charge of $100 for two people to upgrade their dinning experience. This in my opinion was way to expensive especially when you consider that Celebrity are saving on not having to provide the meal you are already entitled to that evening in the standard restaurant. Incidentally we noticed the supplement was reduced to $25 per head as a 'special offer' on the last two nights of the cruise which must have been annoying for those who'd forked out $100 on the previous nights. The standard options for those who did not want to pay the extra supplement were twofold: 1. Dinning in a free for all self service cafeteria serving what I consider to be 3 star fare. 2. Dinning in the San Marco restaurant on what I regard as 3 star uninspiring food. In the first option you must fight your way through the hordes of people trying to serve themselves and then find somewhere to sit and eat (not always as easy at it sounds). Additionally I noticed that the napkins in which the cutlery was wrapped had a very stale smell about them. This musty smell was consistently present on every napkin I used in the self service restaurant throughout the cruise which seemed most odd. I found it hard to believe that these napkins were coming to me directly from a fresh wash though I have no evidence other than the stale smell of them to think otherwise. In the second option you sit in the San Marco restaurant which I noticed had a prevailing musty or stale smell. There you eat what to us was a very similar and very average version of what was available in the free for all cafeteria. In this restaurant I chose a seafood dish which was bland and contained around 4 of the smallest and tasteless mussels I have ever seen. This restaurant had two sittings each evening and we attended the second at which I was disappointed to find that the bread which was brought to the table had a slightly stale and crusty feel to it. I found myself considering the almost unbelievable possibility that the bread might have been originally served on someone else's table at the earlier sitting and having not been eaten was now making a re-appearance at ours. Whilst I can never be sure it is a most unsettling thought to entertain, however I can think of no other reason why the bread served every night seemed to be a long way past fresh. From the moment we boarded the ship I felt that Celebrity staff were continuously trying to extract money from us by a variety of means. These included constantly badgering us to pose for their photographers who worked in teams and seemed to have targets to meet. (I overheard one photographer telling his colleague that he had hit his target for the day). One photographer actually began to sarcastically berate us for not agreeing to pose for her. Sales of what appeared to me to be cheap and poor quality jewellery took place regularly where the items on sale where what I consider to be cheap rubbish was offered at extremely overpriced rates. All in all it seemed to us that Celebrity X regarded the passengers as some kind of cash cow to be milked at every opportunity and had instructed the staff to sell and steer them towards further spending wherever possible. It is almost impossible to find anyone on board who speaks English as a first language and this alone lends itself to greater potential for misunderstandings in communication. The majority of the ships crew and staff were excellent, however there were a noticeable handful who were overtly rude, not least the woman on the customer service desk with whom I had the misfortune of speaking with on day one of the cruise. My opinion is that this individual should not be employed in any customer service role since her attitude throughout our entire interaction was to treat me as if I were some kind of nuisance. This was not an isolated instance and there were other members of staff who demonstrated equally bad attitudes, however in fairness most were excellent. The bus we were transported to Rome on for our shore excursion was in sad need or refurbishment and consisted of many broken seats to the point where many passengers including myself had to endure the entire journey with the passenger sitting in front of me virtually lying in my lap. In summary, I could write much more about how dissatisfied we were with this cruise but it is something I would rather forget than write about. Suffice to say that we will never book a cruise with Celebrity X again. From this point onward I shall be exploring the options available on Norwegian lines about whom we have heard excellent reports. For this cruise experience and value for money we would award Celebrity X 2 out of 10.

Not Much to Celebrate at Celebrity X

GJDD’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C
Cabin 2C
We had no complaints about the cabin. The cabin attendant (Charlie) was excellent at all times and most attentive to all our needs .
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins