3. Carnival Sunshine
This was my third cruise, all with Carnival. The Sunshine is a beautiful ship, and very nicely remodeled. We did a 7 night cruise from NYC to Bermuda in October. Yes, risky weather, but all in all very good. Cabin - we had an inside cabin, deck 8 forward - best place ever to have a room. It was centrally located, and only one deck from coffee. NIcely appointed, and plenty of room for the two of us. I mean, you only sleep and shower there. Our housekeeper was only seen once, on the 2nd day, when we happened to run into her. The towel animals were always there. I was disappointed that they no longer give you chocolates at turn down. There are no ice buckets unless requested. Overall, clean and nice. Casino - I don't gamble, but my one comment about the casino is that it needs better ventilation. The smoke easily wafted several floors up, and there was no way to get to the other side of the ship on deck 5 than to go through it. So we basically ran and held our breaths. Food was very plentiful, and pretty good. There is only 1 buffet area on Lido, with two identical stations in the middle for carving. Desserts, as normal, looked pretty but didn't have much taste. It was a pleasant surprise to see Eggs Benedict on the breakfast buffet. Plenty of choices. My only issue, if I had to think of one, was that finding fresh fruit after breakfast was difficult (unless you wanted melon pieces). Beverages were standard, although for tea you now may choose only green or Lipton. The MDR had a nice menu. They had the American Table menu most nights. Had 2 elegant nights, one with lobster, the other with prime rib. Our waitstaff was wonderful, as always. They always knew our names and were very friendly and attentive. There were only 2 evenings that I recall having a 'didya ever' appetizer. I actually steered away from the chocolate melty cake because the doneness is so unreliable. Once it was perfect, next time it wasn't even cooked - it was just warm puddingish cake. We were placed in the Sunset dining room. The 'dine at your time' people were placed in the Sunrise (2 story) dining room. I would prefer to see that arrangement switched, but the food would be the same in either. Guys burgers were good, fries were tasty, but burgers were greasy. For lunch, try the Mongolian Wok stir fry or the Cucina pasta bar - they're both free for lunch, but extra for dinner. Havana bar has nice munchies for lunch too for free. Can you tell I don't like to spend extra when I get comparable items for free? I spend wisely. My biggest gripe - I look forward to the tradition Afternoon Tea that they do on sea days. First, you have to dig for it in the FunTimes - it's buried in the 'Still Hungry' section, and not even listed in the itinerary. We arrived to find that you must now pay $1.95 if you want anything other than green or Lipton tea. I understand doing that on the buffet, but for Teatime? I was appalled that they'd nickel and dime us over a teabag. and $1.95? I can buy an entire box of teabags for that. Shows - The Hasbro game show and the Love and Marriage shows were both great. They should do those more often. The production numbers weren't so hot. There is no live music, it's all recorded. They've done away with their sets - only one or two movable pieces, or just risers most of the time. They have a flashy video wall that changes images constantly. I wasn't impressed. And the talent was mediocre. For the 'Rock' show they couldn't even harmonize. The comedians were good - they need to be put in the main lounge instead. We didn't have comedians on the 2nd half of the cruise because we had to leave Bermuda early due to weather heading up the coast. The activities crew did an awesome job as always. I finally won an authentic 24 karat gold plastic ship on a stick! The sportsquare is a lot of fun for all ages. Two pool tables (don't expect to play a real game of pool - the balls rock with the boat). Bean bag toss, twister, shuffleboard, basketball - all good fun. The waterslides were a blast. The skycourse was an adventure. From the floor it looks easy peasy. Once you're up there, those 15-20 feet make a big difference. And there's no turning back once you start. I'm happy to say I completed it! The Rockin 80s glow party on Lido was a blast. Emma is a great CD. Lots of pep, energy and personality. We decided not to do any Carnival excursions, and just wandered on our own. The bus/ferry pass was a good bargain $31 per person for 2 days. The shops at Dockyard are interesting, and there are the standard 'carnival hawked' stores like DI, etc. But there are a few local stores as well. Most shops close around 5ish, which is closer to 4ish. The towns are nice, people are friendly. Food and goods are expensive, as everything is imported from (mostly) the US. The Glassworks was a favorite place of mine. Snorkel Park Beach at the Dockyard is ok if you want a beach and a beer, but definitely get out to the other beaches like Horseshoe Bay. If you get 4 or more people together you can get a taxi directly there for 7 each - faster than bus. Overall, the Sunshine has been my favorite ship to date, and the cruise was wonderful. They utilize every single inch of that ship, sometimes too much so. There is no room to get around to the Lido buffet except to go through the Guy Burger line. And on Deck 4 trying to get from one end to the other requires that you go through the Limelight Lounge (where they do comedy). Which isn't bad until there's a function in there, and you have to jump decks. The new internet plans are cool too. I would definitely recommend a cruise on the Sunshine!

Sunshine was bright!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by lucifee83

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Interior

I would definitely recommend a cruise on the Sunshine!
lucifee83’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Interior
Cabin 4G 8238
typical inside cabin. Nothing spectacular, but enough room, and it was always clean and usable. In good shape.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins