3. Celebrity Silhouette
We arrived a few days early in Rome. Although we had been there two years ago, one never has enough time to explore Rome!!! This was our six cruise with Celebrity, but the first on Silhouette and I think this one has a little piece of my heart. Although the weather wasn't entirely cooperative for the 14 nights, it didn't seem to matter, as this rated as one of the best cruises ever!!! Embarking was a breeze, I think that it took us maybe 20 minutes maximum! We arrived at about 12:30, went up to the Oceanview Café, grabbed lunch and then went right to our rooms. One suitcase was even delivered before the drill at 4:30. The Silhouette is simply a truly beautiful ship! The personnel from the stateroom staff up to the Captain are just courteous, polite, wonderful, and many with a great sense of humour! The ship was immaculate and clean. Although in past cruises we've been on deck 8 or higher, this time we were in stateroom 6225, perfectly midship, in front of the elevators, over the 'Sushi on 5', so no late night or early morning noise... actually no noise whatsoever! And we were essentially just steps ( a floor or two) away from Café Bacio, the Martini Bar, MDR, the entertainment, ect. I could easily just run up and down the steps if I wanted to get or leave something in the stateroom. Our stateroom attendant, Sebastian, did a wonderful job, changing out the towels and facecloths daily, never leaving us to have to ask for anything! The quality of the soap (shhh I actually brought one home), the shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion where very nice as well. Not overpowering at all, but the way the soap lathered... you wanted to be washing your hands. As much as I liked the MDR and it's staff, over the past few years, something is definitely changing... while other things are not! In March of 2010, on the first night onboard ship, I had my first MDR experience... with mushroom soup and prime rib. Six years later, it's the same menu on the first night, as it has been on the four sailings in-between!!! Maybe it's time to change things up a little more? Yet, the quality of the food doesn't seem to be the same, so much so, that by the 5th night, we essentially started to dine in the 'specialty' restaurants. We dined twice in the Tuscan Grill, always at the top of my list, Murano, as well as we tried 'The Porche', which was not only fabulous, it has the best staff ever, the 'Lawn Club' which was exceptional, and finally Qsine, which was a culinary experience in itself! Through CC's Roll Call, we met four other couples and thank god decided to go as a group. Qsine is not a restaurant that you want to go to alone... we spent at least 3 hours eating such an array of food and the entire presentation was mindboggling! We were more than happy with the choices and quality of the food in the Oceanview Café... they certainly had something that would appeal to everyone. Because of such an exhausting itinerary, we didn't attend any shows, but we did have a blast with the 'silent disco' on a few occasions! The quality of the sound in the headphones (at least in mine) was fabulous and just wants to make you dance! We also enjoyed the various live music entertainment venues, including lots of fun at the Karaoke nights. Our ports of call were faboulous, with the Amalfi Coast, Messina in Sicily, Palma de Mallorca, Cartagena (Spain), Gibraltar, Lisbon (Portugal), Cadiz/Seville, Ibeza, Barcelona, and then Touloun, but ended up docking in 'Sein sur la Mere' and we visited Saint-Tropez! Of course we met some truly wonderful fellow cruisers through CC's Roll Call and I think some lifelong friendships were created! Some of us are already planning our next cruise together. Now all this being said, I do have a few 'not so happy' about, the major one being the price of internet. The package was $350 US. For goodness sake, this is a satellite connection, not hardwire, and it wasn't that fast, which I understand, as we were out in the middle of the Mediterranean, but still $350 US for 14 days? Then for those who wanted to print out boarding passes, they still had to sign up for at least one hour at the rate of $25 US, to print out a boarding pass??? The other thing that turned me off, was all this 'selling'. We weren't even out of the cruise terminal, when they started after us for beverage packages, dinner packages, you name it, they were selling it! Enough already, let us get to our rooms in peace!!! And the 'wash your hands' video... I truly felt like I was being treated as a child. Trust me, I know how important this is, but please show me a video meant for adults and not something that you would be running in a child's daycare! Finally we opted to keep our luggage in our stateroom and carry it off... luckily, we left from Deck 2 and didn't have stairs or escalators to contend with, but more and more we are hearing about lost luggage, including a neighbour who happened to be on board, and 6 days later, still is missing her main suitcase and hasn't heard a word from Celebrity!

Another Great Celebrity Cruise!

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by SamIAmMontreal

SamIAmMontreal’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 2B 6225

When they say midship, for this specific cabin, I'm sure if the ship had broken in half, our room would have been split in half, and maybe that's why I'm actually having less 'debarkation issues', as being lower and midship helped quite a bit.

We were essentially just steps (a floor or two) away from Café Bacio, the Martini Bar, MDR, the entertainment, ect. I could easily just run up and down the steps if I wanted to get or leave something in the stateroom. Our stateroom attendant, Sebastian, did a wonderful job, changing out the towels and facecloths daily, never leaving us to have to ask for anything! The quality of the soap (shhh I actually brought one home), the shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion where very nice as well. No overpowering smell at all, but the way the soap lathered... you really wanted to be washing your hands
Sunrise Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Ibiza
    Weather was cold and rainy, so once the bus got us to the beach they called it back an hour later to bring us all back to the ship. The beach was not what one would expect as described. Very small and the staff at the two restaurants were very impolite, the ladies washrooms were horrendous, including I hear, were the mens washrooms as well! Our guide and bus driver felt quite bad for us (weather wasn't their fault), so they took another way back in order to show us a little more of the island, as well as offered to drop people off in town. Cudos and thank you to Celebrity, as they refunded everyone the entire price of this excursion!
    View All 12,425 Ibiza Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ibiza Cruise Port Review
  • Cascais, Sintra and the beach
    Actually it was Lisbon, Sintra, and Cascais. We had the best guide ever. 8 1/2 hours and he packed as much as he could into the tour. If you have never been to Portugal, I would say take this tour, as you get to see a little of the country all packed into one day, including a great lunch at a Portugese restaurant. Our tour started at 11:30 am and finished near 9 pm at night, so it was also interesting to see Lisbon's colours during the day, then lit up at night. We also went to Rocca, which is the most western tip of Europe, which although there was really nothing there besides a lighthouse, the cliffs and water were truly gorgeous. Even though we were a large group of at least 40 people, the bus was large and modern, with a back entrance, allowing people to move on and off quickly. We wore headsets (whispers as our guide called them) so we were always able to hear him, no matter where we were. One of the best Celebrity shore excursions we have taken.
    View All 35 Cascais, Sintra and the beach Reviews
  • Palma de Mallorca
    Very disappointed with this tour company, as they cancelled via email the morning of, but not having internet, I didn't know and my husband spent a lot of time wandering around looking for them. Thank god, and English chap, named Peter, of 'No Frills' Tour, saw us and told us his bus wasn't full and invited us to get on. We had a lovely day visiting Mallorca, Soller, as well as the Port of Soller, and finally Valldemossa. The views are spectacular and the drive over the mountains is not for the 'faint of heart'! This was one of my absolute favourite ports and I look forward to returning one day. I thank Peter of 'No Frills' for saving the day. As of yet, two weeks later, I still haven't received a refund from Shorebee!
    View All 802 Palma de Mallorca Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Palma de Mallorca Cruise Port Review
  • Positano (Amalfi)
    'Mama Mia' what a great tour of these 3 beautiful coastal towns. We were a group of 8, who met on CC's Roll Call. It was organized by someone else. Two years ago I did, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, to Positano... this time we docked in Salerno, so we came up the coast. Had lunch at La Tagliata, up at the very top of Positano, with gorgeous views overlooking the coast and wonderful Italian cuisine (25 Euro/pp) experience in itself! Our guide knew the coast, knew his history, and was very entertaining, but he also kept in touch with others to see how traffic was, ensuring that we would make it back in time before the ship sailed, as we visited on a Sunday.
    View All 12,425 Positano (Amalfi) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Positano (Amalfi) Cruise Port Review
  • Cadiz Walking Tour
    We were in Cadiz on a Sunday, so a lot was closed down. I think that the group was too large for a walking tour, as well as there was a lot of intereference with our audio's so very difficult to hear what our guide had to say. She was very nice and seemed to be very knowledgeable on the subject of Cadiz, but honestly if you are going to walk it (very easy), as both the town and the Hop On / Hop Off buses are located directly at the port, then I would just go on my own. This port didn't rank very high with me.
    View All 17 Cadiz Walking Tour Reviews
  • Castello Saraceno
    We docked in Messina, and a small private group of maybe 14 were treated to a brand new bus. If you think the Amalfi Coast has winding roads... look out. On this tour we had breathtaking views of Mount Etna (lucky that it was a sunny day), were taken to the top of Castelmola and then spent a few hours in the very picturesque Taormina. I thoroughly enjoyed this port and this tour. Once again, our guide, was very personable and knowledgeable!
    View All 2 Castello Saraceno Reviews
  • Toulon
    We booked a shore excursion through Celebrity and did Saint-Tropez and Port de Grimaud. It was a good hours drive away, but the scenery was beautiful with lots and lots of vineyards along the way. Even though it was October and I'm now what you would consider a shopper, I would say that at least 60 percent of the stores were closed on a Thursday which was disappointing, as I think it took a little away from the experience. Still a beautiful village that I would love to experience when it's filled with all the people'! Good thing it was a Celebrity excursion, as we were late returning due to traffic in 'Sein Sur La Mer' ... so the ship had to wait for us!
    View All 292 Toulon Cruise Port Reviews