3. Norwegian Jade
This was our 3rd NCL cruise in the last 5 years and indeed the 2nd on the Jade. The funny thing is that we returned to the Jade after finding that the Epic was too big and lacked the personal touch only to find that the Jade had now lost that personal touch as well. Food: The buffet which we had so enjoyed had less to offer and was operating far less hours. Smoked salmon had become a salmon mouse and that kinda sums it up! The service was nothing special and sometimes I felt that the servers/chefs were dolloping their products on my plate as if I was an inmate in line for lunch. The main restaurants were good. Drink: The alcohol prices were ridiculous but that didn't bother me as I don't drink and I had a good value soda package. My 9 y/o son however had an useless soda package as it did not include juice and as he doesn't drink pop - it was a waste. The ban on bringing water on board is ridiculous and the reasoning (security) is pathetic. BTW, if it is for security reasons I would really beef up the security as the ship was full of drinks that were carried on, makes you feel safe....... Crew: Besides the very odd star, the pre paid tips have done their job and the service in general is free falling down. In the main when then want to sell you something they are very friendly and helpful but otherwise it aint what it used to be. NCL seem to go for the "cheaper" options as far as their hiring goes and this is evident through every department of the ship. The worst however is among the cruise staff who are very much multi national (which is great) but their English is bad and sometimes very bad. Trying to understand them during the different activities can be one hell of a task! Entertainment: See above. The shows were good but other than that the on board activities were nothing to write home about. There is a non stop mission to sell you raffle cards, game cards and God knows what else. Cabins: We has a mini suite which was very nice just a bit dated (refurb due in March) and I would add a couple of extra a/c points as 1 is definitely not enough. Ports: Very good. Exactly what we were looking for. Easy, do it yourself ports. Embarkation and disembarkation were quick and easy. In summary it is what you make it and we were a big family so we made the best of it and had a good time. However, if to date NCL was our obvious choice as we love the freestyle cruising concept, it is now far from that. We will definitely look into more options.

NCL is not what it used to be....

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by lilpepdog